Lilbyrdie
The Mentor

World: Legends
Gold: 26983138
Flags: 11448

Re: Mentor/Mentee Surveys

Post by Lilbyrdie on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:40 pm

andrew wrote:
DefPolak wrote:I thought my mentor was a bot program . . . like an extension to the tutorial and ignored him :/

Would love to hear ideas of suggestions to improve this.

I put a note in my opening message that "I'm a real player just like you..."

It doesn't always help.

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Gold: 219327
Flags: 6799

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:34 am

That's why I suggested the "pick a mentor" - by stating our nationality, and a short personal statement - bots don't have these.

Lilbyrdie
The Mentor

Gold: 26983138
Flags: 11448

Post by Lilbyrdie on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:14 pm

K'TILQR wrote:That's why I suggested the "pick a mentor" - by stating our nationality, and a short personal statement - bots don't have these.

That would help pair up people of like playing styles, too, perhaps.

It's probably been mentioned somewhere else, but domain-expert mentoring would be helpful. Someone who is an expert at Groves may not be very familiar with Lairs. Someone who is an expert at water hunting may not know good Australian land hunting strategies, what with all the Billanger "poop." ;)

Likewise, someone with great advice for players up to level 10 may not be as helpful for casual players when it comes to the 20s slog.

Either allowing a mentee to pick who they want to ask for info from or allowing mentors to hand off mentees between each other to experts in different fields would be useful.

I often answer lightly and then ask my mentees to ask in their city and/or kingdom, too, for alternate opinions. (That's usually my city and kingdom, and I know the people are helpful.)

Finally, a few of my mentees have gone off to "the other side." Helping them becomes somewhat of a conflict of interest. Although, usually if they've done that they were an alt/restart to begin with, learn well enough on their own, or have enough help from their kd.

lesismore
The Apprentice Ranger

Gold: 678889
Flags: 248

Post by lesismore on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:13 pm

What about letting referrals be mentored by the person who referred them. Both players are already vested in each other so they would want to succed

andrew
The PerBlue Designer

Gold: 150965
Flags: 1

Post by andrew on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:56 am

Mentee and Mentor pairings are already restricted on language. If locality was desired then we could also automatically filter based on that.

As far as even short descriptions of the mentor I still feel most people would ignore or not read it.

As far as referral codes automatically assigning a mentor, I see potential abuses of this system.

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:15 am

I agree that referral code should not be used to assign a mentor due to the possibility of abuse.

But my daughter started about 3 months ago - she was not assigned a mentor. Thank god for good old mum to help her get started.

I asked for mentees again, after a week I received none for a month so gave up. During the period my daughter started, she was offered no mentor - I was offered no mentees! So there is definitely something wrong if noobs and available mentors are not being matched up.

andrew
The PerBlue Designer

Gold: 150965
Flags: 1

Post by andrew on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:24 am

I forget exactly how it works but I believe that if you are not online at the time the person starts you can't be assigned as a mentor for that person.

scarlett-rayne
The Grove Guardian

Gold: 7326277
Flags: 806

Post by scarlett-rayne on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:09 pm

before i stopped mentoring because they kept quitting, i used to get mentees while i was offline all the time

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:32 am

andrew wrote:I forget exactly how it works but I believe that if you are not online at the time the person starts you can't be assigned as a mentor for that person.

Andrew - I don't pk ALL the time, whatever others may think, but I DO pk a lot every day. If I am not being offered mentees it is NOT because I am not on-line.

{«τλ»}≈Ďåřķ╰_╯Phęºņįx™
The Prospector

Gold: 1382347
Flags: 12404

Post by {«τλ»}≈Ďåřķ╰_╯Phęºņįx™ on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:41 am

K'TILQR wrote:
andrew wrote:I forget exactly how it works but I believe that if you are not online at the time the person starts you can't be assigned as a mentor for that person.

Andrew - I don't pk ALL the time, whatever others may think, but I DO pk a lot every day. If I am not being offered mentees it is NOT because I am not on-line.

I am online all the time as well so there is no reason that I don't be assigned mentees. I actually look forward to receiving mentees.

PreviousNext