belivingtheword
The Fury

World: Legends
Gold: 8617479
Flags: 399

Adopting Internationally

Post by belivingtheword on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:57 am

Howdy pk'ers!

My wife and I are working to expand our family by adopting internationally. This will be a grand adventure of a lifetime (or five lifetimes!). I just wanted to share it a little with you all. Check us out at http://lusherfamily.weebly.com/.

Comments welcome!

Sherlock£Holmes
Le Prudent

Gold: 1656415
Flags: 2660

Re: Adopting Internationally

Post by Sherlock£Holmes on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:04 am

woo! what country/countries??

belivingtheword
The Fury

Post by belivingtheword on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:49 am

Sherlock£Holmes wrote:woo! what country/countries??

They are a sibling group of five from Eastern Europe. There are not many families willing to bring home five children. It's quite a responsibility. But my wife, kids and I make a pretty good team. I think these five kids will fit in well with the family.
Last edited by belivingtheword on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

{~J¿E~}••Ladyrock™••
The Phoenix

Gold: 15656584
Flags: 9952

Post by {~J¿E~}••Ladyrock™•• on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:55 pm

I thank God that there are still people in this world with giant hearts overflowing with love to give.I'm gonna pray that the transition period between 5 children and a family that loves them be so short that you'll not even notice that there was one. God bless you and your wonderful family.

belivingtheword
The Fury

Post by belivingtheword on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:04 pm

Thanks for noticing! It's rough because there is sooo much paperwork. I understand protecting the kids, but really... And it's expensive. We expect the the total cost to be about $40k USD. When you consider it's for five kids, the per child cost isn't that great. But it's still a whole lot of money. When it comes to having kids, insurance pays for it. But when it comes to adopting kids, you're on your own to fund it. One would think that the government would put up some money, considering they won't have to take care of the kids any longer. Oh, well. We have raised 8% of the total. However, so far our expenses have exceeded the fundraising. We will just persevere.

belivingtheword
The Fury

Post by belivingtheword on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:04 pm

Looks like my estimate may be low. The total cost will probably be in the range of $70k, and we hope to raise $50k through fundraising. Now here is some good news!

Lifesong for Orphans will match up to $8000 that is donated to our adoption through them. Please share this information with anyone who may want to help us get the full matching grant and help us get to our children! Adoption doesn't have anything to cover the costs like the way health insurance covers having a baby, so it is up to the adoptive parents to raise the funds. Grants like this help a lot! Here are the ways to give:

1. Give by Check - make checks payable to "Lifesong for Orphans" with "#4463 Lusher" in the memo and mail to:
Lifesong for Orphans
PO BOX 40
Gridley, IL 61744

2. Give Online - Go to http://www.lifesongfororphans.org/give/donate
Select Give to an adoptive family, then complete the online form. Fill in the family account number with "4463" and the family name with "Lusher". (Please note that PayPal will charge an administrative fee, and your donation will decrease by the amount of that fee.)

Lifesong is a 501(c)3 tax exempt organization so you can file the donation on your tax forms. If you donate $250 or more, you will get a tax-deductible receipt.

Thank you! Check us out at http://lusherfamily.weebly.com/

{~J¿E~}••Ladyrock™••
The Phoenix

Post by {~J¿E~}••Ladyrock™•• on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:16 pm

Thx for the info! I just got an idea,it may be a crazy one ,but who knows! My thot was...here goes...why don't you go on TV? Channel 5s morning news program is always doing special interest/charitable pieces. Things that tug on your heartstrings. Soooo,what if you had your Pastor(if you have one),or a close friend get in touch with them and see what they can do. Or if they can't give you a spot maybe they can suggest some other avenue that could help. I told you it was crazy,but it may help. It can't hurt to try. Lots of love and prayers to you and your family.

belivingtheword
The Fury

Post by belivingtheword on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:20 pm

Thanks for the idea, but I don't know anything about getting on TV .

Just to update you, our paperwork has been translated and approved and accepted! Now, we should travel in about a month. That means we could use the $8k matching grant to be maxed out ASAP. Every dollar donated will get doubled, up to $8k. Please spread the word! We have raised about $17k. If the match is maximized, that's another $16k. Our goal is to raise $50k of the estimated $70k total adoption costs. Please help by spreading the word. Thanks!

New update: we have our appointment in Ukraine on May 6th! Please share our link: [url]Lusherfamily.weebly.com[/url]. There is $6500 left in the matching grant. Please help us get the full $8k match. :-) Thank you!

{~J¿E~}••Ladyrock™••
The Phoenix

Post by {~J¿E~}••Ladyrock™•• on Fri May 01, 2015 11:47 pm

Hi!! I've been checking back to find out how things are going,but you've stopped posting. So I'm still in the dark. You were working on such a wonderful thing!! Adopting children Is a beautiful thing,but trying to get the whole family;it's such a courageous endeavor that I'm always thinking of you. Then I look here and say a prayer for you and your family. I hope and pray that things have worked out for you and the children. God Bless you all.

belivingtheword
The Fury

Post by belivingtheword on Sat May 02, 2015 3:59 am

Thanks so much! It was very hectic back then and I forgot about this thread. However, everything is up to date on our website, if you want to see what's going on. Check out the blog section.

Lusherfamily.weebly.com

We brought our five Ukrainian children home last year (they are biological siblings to each other) and have been growing closer as a family ever since. This continues to be an amazing journey of love and hope for our nine children, with #10 arriving soon (a boy).