forum logo

player protection Return to The Town Pub

redshtick

World: Legends
Gold: 66515
Flags: 7

player protection

Post by redshtick on Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:07 pm

When I got my Droid, the first thing I did was look for a good game for it. This was the top of the list and I plunged in. Had no idea what I was doing but I was trying to learn and figure out how it all goes togetherr.

Finally seemed like I was getting the general idea when tonight I come in and some guy named lucky charms is burning down everyhin g I own. I message him asking why he's doing it and he says since I. Didn't giv e him passage on my territory he was just gonna burn it all down. I haven't turned anyone down for passage, but this uy has destroyed so much of my stuff I can't even find tgbhe message to see when he rfequested passage.

Bullies suck in every game. Without some limit on gthem, people like me get driven off without any ability to do anything about it. I didn't do anything to this lucky charms guy. Its lame that he can wipenme from the game anyhow.

·C†S·Ꮢenσ

Gold: 190554
Flags: 1307

Re: player protection

Post by ·C†S·Ꮢenσ on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:36 pm

I'll help you but I'm in the process of capping my gear

doombooster

Gold: 521186
Flags: 351

Post by doombooster on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:54 am

redshtick wrote:..and some guy named lucky charms is burning down everyhin g I own.

I know this guy - don´t mention this and other bullies...

If you need help to find a quiet and nice place to settle contact me. I´ll help you building a new empire.
And don´t think about taking revenge on these guys...
they are afflicted with ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) :mrgreen: - pay them no attention ;)

Teamnoir

Gold: 210834
Flags: 8

Post by Teamnoir on Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:33 pm

I've been thinking about this a bit recently.

FTR, I'm autistic. Autistic people are 20x more likely to experience bullying by modern studies. I've experienced a lot of bullying in my life and it enrages me.

RL still has some bullying. When it exists, it generally exists because there's social support for the bullying. Aside from decisive violence, (ie, literally killing the bullies), about the only recourse to bullying is to reach outside the social network which supports the bullying to a larger social network which both opposes the bullying and also has the ability to do something about it. Sometimes this is the police. Sometimes it's other organizations. Sometimes it's other states, or other countries, or the federal government if the problem is in state government or spans states.

In PK, we have nothing like this. The only thing even vaguely related is tech support but their role appears to be limited to banning people who use the word "gay" and restoring lost items. They aren't moderating chat channels much less in game behavior and even if they did, it would be extremely difficult to distinguish basic game conflict from bullying.

We, as players, can't really even create a police force since we can't delegate sufficient authority. That is, no matter who we elected as policeman, there's someone in the game who can take them down. And there's not much a policeman in game could do to miscreants anyway.

I wonder if this is simply a ramification of pvp games. I mean, there are plenty of other social games which don't have this problem. I play "we rule", "godfinger", and "mytown" on my iphone as well as pk and neither of them have this problem. I also play "titanwars" which is decidedly pvp but doesn't have the bullying problem, so maybe it's not inherent to pvp. So I dunno. I'm still thinking.

PK does pretty well - if you're not aggressive, it's extremely hard to kill you. And even dying isn't a huge penalty for most players. But that doesn't stop a bully or a griefer from burning down everything you own. I know other games, (everquest), have run separate servers, one for pvp supported, another for pvp prevented.

Anyone else? Is it possible to create a pvp game without bullying? Or is bullying necessarily an inherent part of pvp gaming? Is there any way to police it or prevent it in game?

Arvernus

Gold: 1961738
Flags: 1507

Post by Arvernus on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:18 am

I guess what we need in PK is a Dexter-like player that goes around systematically burning everything the bullies own...if they were busy repairing their stuff they'd have less time to grief.

Just to state the obvious:
Keeping your personal empire hidden and concentrated over multiple areas can limit the damage one griefer can do to you...I like big cities where I can have multiple and distant screens of oil wells/crystal huts and of course, my hunting grounds are spread over numerous states.

{Lègîóñ}*Carga*
The Demolitionist

Gold: 113479
Flags: 9172

Post by {Lègîóñ}*Carga* on Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:05 am

The game revolves around attacking a causing others mathem. Look at some of the trophy goals. Most flags and buildings destoyed. Most bouys destroyed. Most player kills. The game has villians and heros, friends, enemies. ... one option that would work well is to let a town fortify against the outside attackers.

ιnтenтιonal♨️arѕonιѕт™
The Demolitionist

Gold: 94528
Flags: 1772

Post by ιnтenтιonal♨️arѕonιѕт™ on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:40 am

i got one set of annoyed ex kd members burning my cities down and im like .. you do realize i have 2 more homes ,,, RIGHT?!?!