Back to PK
forum logo

Is capped gear worth the $$$$$ for hunters? Return to Strategy

[Hobos]dirkous

World: Legends
Gold: 29150820
Flags: 2657

Is capped gear worth the $$$$$ for hunters?

Post by [Hobos]dirkous on Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:51 pm

Sorry if this is a repeat. I am unaware how to search the forums by a word or phrase. Anyway, I have had up to +26.2 weapon. I see a small difference from +25 gear but it seems to me there's not enough benefit to the cost of leveling or buying high level gear for a hunter. It seems to me the higher gear is more for war or a status symbol. Thanks for your time and thoughts and opinions ahead of time! :)

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Gold: 219327
Flags: 6799

Re: Is capped gear worth the $$$$$ for hunters?

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:08 am

A capped weapon is required for legendaries - capped armour always helps, that extra +2 to defence makes a difference against a lot of hard monsters (stone golems, pyramids, yang longs, troodont king).
If you include the dungeons in your "hunting" then many of the bosses will die quicker enabling you to complete more per hour - increasing your gold per hour.
To cap a weapon it must be gemmed - gem golems (in a tower of Golem) are immune to ungemmed weapons but a gemmed +25 works.
As to value - is it worth it? My answer to this is possibly not. But if you save up, you can buy a capped weapon/armour for the cost of upgrading your own to +26

gⓞⓞƒ™
The Phoenix

Gold: 708891
Flags: 2479

Post by gⓞⓞƒ™ on Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:01 pm

As a militia I can say I honestly think capped gear is well worth the gold u spend to cap it you might only do a lil bit more damage but it seams like my fire xbow takes effect a lot more than it did before capped so more damage done that way and my trolls are stronger to so once again more damage done so yes I think capping is very much worth it

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Gold: 219327
Flags: 6799

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:28 am

Another area where capping has a knock on effect is in pet levelling. Your pet is only as good as your effective level, and can't be trained above it. Even borrowing a friends capped gear so you can +27 your griffin/dragon/crawler won't help you..... if you only have +25 - then your capped pet will act +25!
Now a capped crawler annihilates dragons, and just needs a berry fighting an epic yang long. Watch and weep....

And your skellies will be stronger as well as your trolls.

Then there is the personal satisfaction of saying "I did it!" To yourself when you manage to cap something.

Now is it worth it? I know the arguments for and against and I still try and cap everything that I or my minions (trolls, shipmates) use. I don't PvP, I rarely hunt legendaries and for war I just need one capped leather armour. The amount of gold I have spent means that whatever the arguments for or against capping, deep down - to me - it is WORTH it...

gⓞⓞƒ™
The Phoenix

Gold: 708891
Flags: 2479

Post by gⓞⓞƒ™ on Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:16 am

My thoughts exactly Cuz let's face it the only real goals u have in this game is goals u set yourself and my personal goal is to have one weapon and armor of all metals capped

[Hobos]dirkous

Post by [Hobos]dirkous on Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:46 am

Much appreciated thoughts and advice! I'm going to work towards capped gear once I get a lightning leather and a levi weapon. Thank you guys!

[CaL]-ყɳคг∂ τђε βลℜð

Gold: 12629958
Flags: 2285

Post by [CaL]-ყɳคг∂ τђε βลℜð on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:33 am

In my opinion, hunters don't need to cap their gear. +23 is great for noobs and pretty easily acquired. +24 is decent for everyone. +25 is very good and more than enough in most of situations. +26 is pretty much waste if you utilize your class specialization skills and other skills such as Triump when fighting large groups.

I've played nearly 3 years and got one honed armor at +26 for fighting tough bosses like Doggie or Khaotul. Rest are ranged from +23 to +25. Most of my weapons are +24 which seem to work fair enough for me. One Axe I leveled to +26 to get my effective level up for monster spawns. I haven't used that axe for ages..

My hunting style is varying different (low'ish level) weapons to get the most effective debuffs to stick on the monster(s). Usually I start with Fire Lute and then engage with Lightning Sword or keep it ranged with Ice/Poison/Levitation/Honed/Swift/Retribution Lutes. All of which are +24 or +25 (except Fire Lute which seems to require +26 to lit up enemies often enough). But some metals like Lightning can be very effective even at +23 since the probability is high already.

For me it's much more to cripple the enemy with all them debuffs than just to swing with the biggest capped wep I could get. The Cost to upgrade one piece of gear from +25 to +26 is 2.2M and to +27 it's 5.2M. Instead of pouring my gold to one weapon/armor I can get several different metalled weapons and level them to +24 or even +25 and swap them efficiently with Quick Slots. I don't like group hunting or legendaries (let alone PvP or war) so the benefit of spending +5M to one piece of equipment is negligible. And I like to collect various kinds of gear - even if I can't use em myself I can give em to my trolls or crewmen.

But that's just me :)

[Hobos]dirkous

Post by [Hobos]dirkous on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:44 am

That pretty much domes up my play style too. I switch back to ninja, my most experienced class, and bought a 27 tunic and shuri to try it out. I found the extra point or two off each hit and little higher metal proc really doesn't help my play style either. I can kill monsters/bosses just as fast with 25 gear. So sadly I tied up 10+ mil in two 27 pieces I'll have to sell to get other gear. It's rather nice to have good gear that can be used on multiple specializations and working on learning most effective weapon and armor for each monster it will only get better! By the way, I did see on the guide page for spedial metals that there is a formula for proc chance. It is basses on weapon quality 1&2. Level is one of them and I think the repair is the other, just not sure which is which to do the math. ;)

[CaL]-ყɳคг∂ τђε βลℜð

Gold: 12629958
Flags: 2285

Post by [CaL]-ყɳคг∂ τђε βลℜð on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:59 am

{§§}locke wrote:So sadly I tied up 10+ mil in two 27 pieces I'll have to sell to get other gear.
Sorry it took so long for me to post my reply :roll:

{§§}locke wrote:By the way, I did see on the guide page for spedial metals that there is a formula for proc chance. It is basses on weapon quality 1&2. Level is one of them and I think the repair is the other, just not sure which is which to do the math. ;)

I'm rather sure that in the Quality1 means level of the attacker's Weapon while Quality2 means defender's Armor level. Or vice versa.
Guide wrote:When applying a Metal effect, the quality of the weapon and armor being used affect the Metal's chance to apply as a percentage multiplier.
The percentage formula is: ((10 + Quality1 - Quality2) / 10) * 100%

The "worn" percentage (0%-300%) has nothing to do with weapon's or armor's ability to do damage or apply metal effect.

Lilbyrdie
The Mentor

Gold: 26983138
Flags: 11448

Post by Lilbyrdie on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:31 am

[CaL]-Ynard~the~Bard wrote:
{§§}locke wrote:By the way, I did see on the guide page for spedial metals that there is a formula for proc chance. It is basses on weapon quality 1&2. Level is one of them and I think the repair is the other, just not sure which is which to do the math. ;)

I'm rather sure that in the Quality1 means level of the attacker's Weapon while Quality2 means defender's Armor level. Or vice versa.
Guide wrote:When applying a Metal effect, the quality of the weapon and armor being used affect the Metal's chance to apply as a percentage multiplier.
The percentage formula is: ((10 + Quality1 - Quality2) / 10) * 100%

The "worn" percentage (0%-300%) has nothing to do with weapon's or armor's ability to do damage or apply metal effect.

Quality is, indeed, the item level. "Worn" percent is "ItemHP."

27 weapon vs 24 armor:
(10+27-24)/10 = 1.3 => 130%.

Anyone know what the "quality" value of vicious and epic monsters is?

It's also unlikely that any buffs affect this formula (e.g. ring stats, skill bonuses, etc.). But, if they do, that would be nice to know.

Next