Setting Your Own Goals Return to Strategy

MisterTuesday
The Traveler

World: Horizons
Gold: 119064
Flags: 955

Setting Your Own Goals

Post by MisterTuesday on Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:19 am

One of the nice things about a somewhat freeform game like Parallel Kingdom is the abilty to set your own goals. The game then becomes what you make of it. You can choose to build. You can choose to destroy. You can choose to just sit back and do nothing but chat. My own choice was to discover the world. As the game is built upon the backdrop of a map of the world and the ability exists to travel to different places that you will never be able to get to in life, I have set a goal for myself to visit all of the world's capital cities and to create them in the game for others to possibly enjoy if they do not yet exist. I have even created a checklist for myself of the capital cities and a progress meter that fills up as I get closer to my first goal.

In my various travels and expeditions, I have begun catalogging the cities of the world that I have been to in my travels and learned quite a bit about world geography in the process. One of the cool features in the game is the backdrop of google maps itself. In the lower left corner of your screen exists a google watermark logo, clicking on this logo will open up a new google map page centered upon your location. This map can be used to zoom in, expore and learn more about the area in which you are travelling. You can also set a marker on the map and zoom out to see the bigger picture and where you are in relation to the rest of the world. I much prefer the wide vistas available to the web version of the game. Screeenshots have many more options on the web version than simply how much can you cram into the small area on your phone. I've also been inspired by some of my fellow explorers to make city layouts a little more appealing than the random hodgepodge of "circles" jammed together. 8-) This and other images are available in my Screenshot Gallery.

What will you make of YOUR game?

[D]boardwalk

World: Legends
Gold: 2460045
Flags: 3831

Re: Setting Your Own Goals

Post by [D]boardwalk on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:18 pm

MisterTuesday wrote:What will you make of YOUR game?

Fan fiction. Hopefully, I'll get back to it soon.

Tac0caT
The Thief

Gold: 288190
Flags: 5091

Post by Tac0caT on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:32 am

Very cool, I love your city map. I would never have the patience to do something like that.

[Hobos]Kawigi
The Pioneer of the World

Gold: 32530050
Flags: 10268

Post by [Hobos]Kawigi on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:19 pm

Maybe your asthetic tastes (or level of patience) are different from mine on organizing city flags, but has anyone on Horizons done anything like my pattern cities?

Mogadishu (Hexagonal grid spiral)
Accra (Space Invaders enemy)
Marsabit (Square cross)
Tataouine (Millenium Falcon)
Cherrapunji (Raindrop)
Hwangju-Up (Checkerboard)
Chichen-Itza (Triangle, no map)
Abuja (Snowflake, no map)

I've also attempted a heart once (but didn't go big enough to get the curves nice like Cherrapunji and Tataouine) and plan on doing a Disney "Mickey Mouse" logo soon.

«£∮»რıяɑʛɛ
The Phoenix

Gold: 3104345
Flags: 11995

Post by «£∮»რıяɑʛɛ on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:35 pm

Way cool MisterTuesday and Kawigi.

Nice work on the perfectly square ones both of you. I presume that's a bit easier on web, as I've noticed placing stuff gets a bit easier with screen size (and probably a mouse), but nonetheless, still cool.