forum logo

Legendary Monster Tips Return to Strategy

[D]boardwalk

World: Legends
Gold: 2460045
Flags: 3831

Re: Legendary Monster Tips

Post by [D]boardwalk on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:50 pm

Mojo_Risin wrote:my group usually tells ranged players to switch to a melee weapon or get lost.

I gotta go hunting with you, then. I feel the same way. The other melee players in my group agree, but the rangers and militia refuse to hold still. I'd like to use any type of real strategy against legendaries, where applicable, but I usually just end up running in circles hoping for a turn. The badge progress I've made came only when the groups were small enough. I've mostly given up on legendaries until I pump something to +27.

Gritmaster
The Fallen

Gold: 3169592
Flags: 2120

Post by Gritmaster on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:02 am

Okay here's a brief and comprehensive way to kill every single legendary.
Rule number one, Always have someone who can survive the full fight use a rage, this insures that the monster will never flee. It's often a good idea to have this person use a rolly's as well and to not be a tunic wearer. Using gillen's brew helps on water fights as well. and use a -prone ring (acrobat) on worldwurm and Beridan. Every legendary fight should also have a dedicated icer, someone to keep them from moving around as fast, thereby making it easier on melee classes. Often it's a good idea to have each person use a different metal.
Minions should only be used if your minion out-damages your regular weapon. otherwise scrap them as they'll only slow the fight down. Check the Damage Matrix to see what your weapon and minions damage looks like. keep into mind buffs (skills, rings etc.) that buff your attributes or your minions and decide whether using a minion is right for you.
No legendaries can be trapped. Do not use nets, traps, time orbs etc. as this only hinders your ability to attack the monster. Do not bomb at legendaries unless everyone present is on your friends list or you may accidently kill a fellow combatant and lower his/her max hps.
Remember that +27 gear gives you a +3 bonus to legendaries (3 defense from armor, 3 attack from weapon) if you have +27 gear by all means use it unless it's poison and you're fighting jhromungand.
Also Clear the circles ahead of time so you're not getting a bunch of monsters being taunted into the middle of the fray and taking away from your damage on the legendary.

Lilia: First of all be sure to center on her, if you're fighting her at the edge of a circle you will have a hard time killing the sacrificial Spirits before they get to her.
When she's in Female form, all combatants should be stacked up on top of her, this will avoid her from casting Siren eyes on you. as soon as she switches to Screaming form ranged users should spread away from her (as her damage increases when she takes this form. As soon as she switches back to female form (or a little before) move back to the center spot so that when she calls spirits she wont give you siren eyes, thereby hindering your ability to attack them. When spirits begin approaching Ranged users should avoid the temptation to rush out and attack them unless they first unequip their weapon, or they will get eyes and be sucked back into her. Instead melee should shield charge and ranged should attack once they get in range while still staying on top of lilia. Or if ranged users have shields, unequip ranged weapon shield charge the spirit and then return to lilia after it is dead. Repeat this and she will quickly and easily die (please note the spirits each heal her for around 300hps, so even allowing one to reach her can greatly increase the duration of the fight). Shade does not prevent her from healing from spirits. but otherwise she is susceptible to all debuffs.

Beridan: Spreading out on this fight is greatly important. as is keeping him iced. Beridan can both tail swing and fireball, so staying in a clump causes you all to receive unnecessary damage. Using a -prone ring will help with his gust ability, shortening the time you're knocked away and trapped. Beridan can also light you on fire, although it doesn't appear to spread. Beridan will shield charge you often when he charges he will go outside your attack range cancelling your aggresiveness so be sure to reattack him every time he shield charges someone, every time shield charge expires from you, and every time gust expires from you. Beridan is immune to the fire debuff so I'd recommend using a different weapon if you have one. however if fire is your only +27 weapon then continue to use it anyway as the +3 buff will outweigh the immunity and it will help with killing off the skeletons he summons. Skeletons can inflict some pretty rapid and significant damage on you so try and avoid fighting all of them at once. Otherwise this fight is pretty straightforward and simple. Side note: If Beridan kills you with fireball you will lose 5 max HPs, so try and heal up a bit after taking a huge damage hit, chances are you got fireballed. Beridan will also burn trees down throughout the fight, so it's not always necessary to clear the circle of trees ahead of time. allowing you to leave some up to heal on after he fireballs you.

Eternus: Eternus has the same damage abilities as a death knight, so if you're a scale wearing class switch to a breastplate or leather on this fight. he also takes the most damage from daggers, so if you have dagger wielding friends invite them! For the fight, Eternus is pretty straight forward but has a few tricky abilities, first he shield charges, treat it like any other shield charge and hope you don't get stuck in the purple. Remember to reattack him after every time he charges/every time charge wears off of you. Second he has a damaging aura (green cloud) whenever this pops up it will wipe any poison effect off of him, consequently poison weapons are not very effective. this cloud also does significant damage to anyone in melee range of him somewhere around 15 damage per tick, when he uses this ability I recommend kiting away from him. His third special is he spawns 5 little purple teardrops around you, you have a couple seconds to move before they explode and each one does 40-50 damage, if you're in the middle of all 5 they almost always kill you, when the teardrop bombs kill a player then a skeleton spawns in their place. as with most legendaries Icing eternus helps the fight progress a lot smoother, especially for when he has his poison cloud up. As with Beridan the skeletons can do a bit of damage, so try and avoid getting hit by them. Also if your speed is fast enough, and Eternus is iced, when he starts to shield charge you CAN dodge it if you move out of the way fast enough so it might be beneficial to wear land speed rings. (for melee this is less of an issue as he rarely shield charges people he's standing on).

Shagurthaguish: This guy behaves like a silk worm hiding under the ground and moving around, but in addition he can eat you and also gusts, so again using a -prone ring is highly beneficial. When fighting Shaggy (as I'll call it from here on) it is extremely important that everyone stands on top of each other throughout the whole fight, this insures that he spends the least amount of time hiding underground and the most time up top getting killed. Shaggy is immune to poison damage, so like on eternus it's not entirely beneficial to use a poison weapon on him. Whenever he uses his gust ability you should all restack, dont go chasing him around everywhere, he will come to you, if everyone goes chasing him around you'll just cause more sporadic hidings. Shaggy can also eat a random player, when this happens the player disappears and is taken out of the fight for about 10 seconds. while eaten the player takes a small amount of damage over time, however is immune to the gust ability. Shaggy will spawn a wurmling at around half health and around 1/6 health. The wurmling has all of Shaggys abilities as well so it is advised that you kill them immediately (they also have different strengths and weaknesses from Shaggy so check the damage table out to make sure you're not over vulnerable to them) If both wurmlings and Shaggy are all up at the same time the fight can get really rough really quickly as they can potentially eat 3 players at the same time and chain gusts so that you have a hard time doing any damage. Fire will spread to the wurmlings from shaggy, and sort of enrages them so if you plan on using fire be sure you can take the hits from the wurmlings as they will be focusing their attention on you! Otherwise just stay stacked up and beat him down as soon as possible (another benefit of stacking up is that you will all share from warden aura, helping to keep everyone alive throughout the firght, providing people have it).

Ashel'Dennar: The Well. Many peoples most dreaded legendary. This fight is actually relatively easily and extremely fast if done properly! First off make sure everyone is buffed up and ready before entering. Rollys are extremely beneficial in this fight as every time he does his poison cloud everyone takes a damage over time ( I believe the damage increases as the bosses health drops making it important to kill him quickly) You should make sure he is iced at all times! using a -ice speed is extremely helpful as is a +ice speed for yourself. when he touches you with his cloud he has a chance to ice you, a very high chance, so try and avoid spending too much time next to him when his cloud is up. The fight: As soon as you enter the well the entire group should spread out and form a circle around him, the person to open the attack should be someone using ice to increase the chances of him being immediately iced. Throughout the fight when he's in normal mode he will use a gravity trap effect drawing everyone towards him, you can tap away to keep yourself from being drawn in but without speed boosts this isn't very effective. after drawing you in for a while he will pop up his Green damage aura cloud, you now have unrestricted movement and can run away. which you should be doing anyhow, as being hit while also taking the poison cloud damage will cause you to take more damage then you can outheal. he will also ice players so that he can hunt you down easier. this is where spreading out and keeping him iced is so important, it causes him to bounce around between players without being able to concentrate damage on any specific one and kill them quickly. Just like eternus the damage aura wipes poison effects from him, consequently they are not the most useful against him. Other then that the fight is very straight forward, and pretty quick and easy, things to remember are +/- Ice speed and + land speed rings are extremely helpful! don't let him near you when his green cloud is up. and also swarming him with a ton of players is not beneficial unless they are all very well geared. having more people attacking = longer time cycling through every ones attacks = more time taking damage when he's at low health causing the maximum damage from his cloud.

Artimus: The golden dragon, This fight is actually one of the easiest in my opinion. First I should mention his special abilities. Artimus can spawn 5 gold pools in a ring around him, Standing in gold pools causes you to take damage over time, when he goes to a pool he can consume it to heal himself for ~115 HPs Shading him does not prevent him from healing, keeping him iced increases his travel time between pools allowing more time to harvest them and more time to cause damage to him between any heals he may get to take. Bringing a low level player along to stay green and just run around harvesting pools is very helpful. Artimus can also encase players in gold this traps them for 30-40 seconds. everyone should be watching for trapped players and untrapping them immediately. A quick note though, He Only Traps People Attacking From A Distance! Consequently if you run around and stay on top of him he will never trap you (once again a good reason to keep him iced!) Ranged users should not run away and harvest pools while continuing to attack from a distance or they will get trapped. Once all gold pools are harvested he will spawn 5 more so focusing on harvesting gold is not always beneficial. I would recommend that once he is below 25% hps remaining everyone ignores the gold and focuses on keeping him iced and maximizing damage on the dragon, if you do you'll out damage any healing he might get (again having a dedicated harvester helps, and by them staying green they don't enter into the combat rotation slowing down the damage per second done.)

Jhromungand: The key to making this fight easy is two-fold. First, don't use poison weapons, unlike other legendaries that are immune to the poison effect he is immune to ALL damage from a poison weapon, just like how the golems in ToG's work. Using a poison weapon only wastes a combat turn in each cycle slowing down the overall fight. Second come prepared and buff up accordingly. Gillens brew is basically essential for this fight, it ensures that you have the necessary speed to escape when he does his whirlpool action. Rollys Serum is very helpful if you're a tunic wearer, or play on a slower device and dont always escape his special effects in time. Anti Poison ensures that you dont take damage from poison (He poisons everyone) Keldors Rage also essential for at least one player in the group to have this, additionally, the person who opens attack on him should have Rage up or you risk having the snake run on his first whirlpool before anyone else attacks. Communication is very important when starting this fight, most of the fights that are lost are lost in the first 15 seconds from someone attacking too soon and being sucked into the whirlpool and dying. The actual fight is pretty straightforward and relatively easy, if everyone in the group is ranged then just spread out and play ping pong with him bouncing him around and dodging poison clouds and whirlpools. If you have a mixed group then try and only move him a little at a time (once again, keep him iced, this ensures you're keeping damage on him for the highest percentage of the time). whenever he spits out a poison cloud move him just enough so everyone can safely attack him without getting poisoned, when he disappears and summons a whirlpool rapidly tap away in any direction (preferably not into a poison cloud though) getting sucked into a whirlpool causes you to take massive amounts of damage very quickly. Other then that there really is nothing difficult to this fight, just avoid poison clouds and whirlpools, stay aggressive (even if you have a dedicated rager it's a good idea to get in the habit of taunting when he goes into a whirlpool so that you stay aggressive, people often make mistakes and get sucked in and die while raged causing the boss to flee) and try to enjoy the fight and have a good time! remember dont use poison weapons! Jhromungand will also continue to attack while under water FYI.

I hope these Tips, strategies and fight descriptions help you on your way to conquering the legendaries, if you don't believe they work just check out my badges as well as my KD's :p
I'm sure there are other little tips and tricks that may make your fights more enjoyable and easier All I wanted to do was give you the guaranteed strategies for every fight so that you don't have to succumb to the frustration of multiple failed attempts.
Above all remember that this is a game and is for your entertainment and enjoyment, if you're getting frustrated, take a break from killing them for a bit or be selective about who you group with. Going with a small group of trusted friends can virtually assure your success every time you attack (providing your gear is high enough to support and augment your skills!)
I highly recommend again that you read through the damage Matrix, it's an invaluable tool for finding out why that certain monster is so hard to beat (not just for legendaries but for every monster in the game).

Now go get some badges!
Last edited by Gritmaster on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gritmaster
The Fallen

Gold: 3169592
Flags: 2120

Post by Gritmaster on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:02 am

I lied at the start of my previous post. I said it was brief. It really isn't. I apologize for the deception.

[CaL]~★※PATRIOT※★
The Dreadknight

Gold: 58569
Flags: 832

Post by [CaL]~★※PATRIOT※★ on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:01 pm

TY guys for sharing this with us :)

Previous