Explorer Class Return to Strategy

Ғ尺๏§T™
The Hero

World: Legends
Gold: 169250
Flags: 8867

Explorer Class

Post by Ғ尺๏§T™ on Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:16 pm

After my post on the Mercenary class, and the great help that was received, its time for a new post. I've recently switched to the Explorer, my play style isn't suited to this class at all, and I need tips and tricks. Obviously I wont be lighting up battlefields anytime soon with my amazing Explorer PvP skills, but hey this class is geared towards getting places, nobody else has been. If there are any other explorers out there with some tips and tricks on how to maximize use of this class, and a good skill tree please let me know.

SAShawn

Gold: 2587530
Flags: 119

Re: Explorer Class

Post by SAShawn on Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:31 pm

Explorers arent into fighting or hunting a lot, you know that already. Thing is, you are free to wear whatever armor suits your taste, I guess you know that too. My question to the explorers out there is: Is your class really worth it? There are places to explorer, but I dont think that the majority of players would pay to have them..

Indy™
探索者宗师

Gold: 142776877
Flags: 2363

Post by Indy™ on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:36 pm

Obviously, it depends on your play style.

Forget any serious dueling as an explorer, of course.

If you are hunting for gold, then you are probably either hunting silk burrowers or water hunting so it really doesn't matter too much what class you are. For silks, the only class that gets any advantage is legion (since you should be using a shield and a low-level weapon). For water hunting, you're best off dragging your golems anyways. Running dungeons or hunting big-game as an explorer is a pain, but not terrible.

For war, it depends on what aspect of war you participate in. Explorers are perfect for reconnaissance (when combined with cartography skill). After all, you can't attack an enemy until you know the location and their weaknesses. Explorers are also useful for dragging golems across water because you don't need to build a buoy trail. In fact, you can even move your golems around undetected because you're not building buoys.

On the battlefield, explorers obviously aren't the best but not terrible. Large portion of the damage on the battlefield are done not by players, but by towers, golems, traps and bombs anyways. Most non-noob kills are by either repeated shield charge or repeated bombing, and explorers can still help with both. But explorers are terrible at killing siege or defending siege by yourself.

DefPolak

Gold: 218943
Flags: 829

Post by DefPolak on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:14 pm

In the war aspect I'd like to add that it's faster to recenter than to build a flag -- hidden explorers can be used very strategically during war when it's time to advance lines or when flags/towers fall.

I'm currently legion and love it -- if I were to ever change I would go back to explorer. My play style isn't pvp or even war (although I do enjoy it sometimes). My play style isn't even exactly explorer either -- I've built a dozen or so cities in my day and I have traveled to remote places and islands but usually it was specific places for specific reasons. Long treks do tend to get boring especially if you are going for speed -- and I wish the double tap edge of circle was in place during my explorer days. But I think if you ever play explorer and then switch to something else you will find that you miss the recenter option soooo much. Also the speed :p

If you love to water hunt there is nothing more profitable than the virgin seas . . . when I was heading hundreds of miles to an island I would drag my golems for the first quarter or even half depending on how fast I needed to get there. The gold made covered all my expenses for the entire trip.

If you are going for speed a wolf with hide skill is a MUST HAVE. If you got the time to put in a full hide time worth of moving quick you can travel 100+ miles on one hide. If you are trying without hide on water it's a pain in the butt if going for speed. On land it's not too bad but you will catch spiders sometimes as you get close to the edge of the circle.

If you do enjoy hunting you need to learn the damage matrix to be really effective. In fact - if you actually learn it you can be more effective than a lot of other classes on certain creatures. It's all about what the most effective weapon is on a creature and you as explorer have the option to switch -- whereas, and this is generally speaking, most other classes will not switch from their primary weapon(s). As explorer I started with my axes as I was a warrior before and then moved on to spears as imo they are one of the better all around weapons. I wasn't concerned with being a top notch hunter and at the time I didn't have the gold to make multiple weapons and level them all up. Luckily I switched to legion and have a full set of hockey sticks -- including fire :D

Same goes for armor too -- learn the damage matrix. A shield, leather armor, and dragon scale would be more than enough to hunt effectively.

As for a sills tree I'm sure you are more than qualified to handle that one yourself -- if you are curious on a particular skill and it's usefulness just ask but (especially on an explorer spec) it's too hard for us to guess which skills you like. Someone could say alch 3, leather 3 whereas I would say just buy anything you need and put those points into something else.

Beddybear
The Patient

Gold: 304674
Flags: 11660

Post by Beddybear on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:00 am

I wrote this a while back but never got around to posting it;

Beddybears Guide to Explorer
The following is a guide to help the explorer. It will help and guide you if you are thinking of becoming an explorer or are one.

The explorer map:
Not much use really but can be very used to record points of interest such as dojos, kds, etc. it is much like a territory map that doesn't use up your compass but shows no other detail than what you have recorded.

Marking waypoints:
This is an invaluable skill at lvl 5, it gives you the ability to mark on the compass map a distant waypoint where you can head to. After setting the distant waypoint a green arrow will show you the direct route to your destination.

Recentering:
The ability to recenter for a price of 50 feathers, your current location. You cannot recenter onto or from any other flag. It is currently cheaper to recenter than to build a flag and jump to it. It is also a lot quicker to recenter than to build a flag and jump to it making travel very quick in open areas albeit expensive.

Things to remember:
Public flags, troll huts, caves and friendly flags are your friends. Use them whenever you can in preference to your relocation ability as it will be a lot cheaper.
To get to distant destinations and waypoints use other flags and troll huts to get you there. Do not hesitate in asking for passage if the flag owner is online, although most of the time you will not have time to wait. But where possible ask.

If your distant destination is a city and you may want to ask a resident for an invite as this will save you a lot of feathers. However if your intended city harbours a target you may not want to draw attention to yourself so do not ask any resident for an invite as it may get fed back to the targets ears.

You can ask new players who have joined the city for an invite as they may be more likely to invite a stranger into a city than a veteran player. Reward such ignorance/kindness with gold..after all it has probably saved you a lot of feathers and noobs love gold.

Make sure you have a compass that will last the duration of your journey. You may find there are time when you will need to check your compass regularly and although it's not an absolutely necessary item it is a pain in the neck if it runs out during a journey.

Allow the newly jumped to area time to load, to often I have walked to the edge of my current circle and jumped as a distant troll hut suddenly pops into existence. If I waited just a second longer i would have saved 48 feathers. When on your way to a distant place do not hesitate to jump to any cave/hut/flag that is in the general direction of your target. Do not worry if you are diverted in another direction just as long as you are carrying on in the same general direction.

Use roads or other major highways. People are strange and are creatures of habit, many will build a long line of flags on existing roads even though the most direct route is the shortest. You can save lots of feathers by heading for such roads rather than taking your own direct line to the target.

Travel light, you can ditch the armour and weapon for the extra speed. Your weapon and armour can be put on a quick slot if you run into trouble. Watch out for hidden crawlers just off screen as these will stop you from jumping. If you pick one up, reverse, weapon up and kill it before resuming your journey. Pick up anything you find on your way that has any value. Avoid spiders as well as waiting for the web to wear off is a pain.

Explorer boots are essential and should be worn on any journey.
Make sure you start your journey with plenty of feathers and money. If you run out of feathers you are stuck. You can build a flag, mark it with your explorer boots and relocate or jump to a trade post for a restock of feathers. Then jump back to your marked flag and resume your journey. You can always buy 100 feathers from wandering trolls but it's a repetitive action when 100 will only get you 2 jumps. But it does get you out of trouble for the short term.

Whilst on a journey, never jump from your recentered spot to a troll hut, cave or other building that is surrounded by normal or private flags. You may jump into an area that you cannot get out of other than burning the surrounding flags.. This will make you unneeded enemies. Never burn anyone who is not your sworn enemy..they may have public flags you can use in the future. When looking at people to burn, check how many flags they have. If they have a good number, reconsider the burn, they may be useful in the future.

There are certain advantages to travelling the journey (trekking). You will more than likely find cities on your trek that will aid future travel, you may even come across kd's (which information of can be sold) but you will also burn through a lot of feathers, so the choice is often difficult to make.

Sell your ability to others. there are people out there who want to get to distant places who cannot be asked to make the journey offer your services for a price. The price is your choice..make it too dear and you won't work too often..make it too small and you will be out of pocket.

If you are a cityless hobo you might want to head to likely spots to lay down a city foundation, not only will this give you a new estate on your list it will also give you a valuable city key with the benefit of free travel to the city or the gold for the sale of the key.
Check before hand if the city exists by typing it in to the search players in the menu section. If the city exists already it will be listed there. You can look further into the state of the city by seeing how many people are listed,1 and it's a foundation, 2, and it's walled...all 3 and it's a full blown city.

There may be times where you have a choice of 2 or more routes...flags leading one way..a troll hut in another direction..etc. when you get such choices you can place a flag and mark it with your boots. Try each route to see which is the most productive route. Destroy your flag before you choose the best route to save on mats.
There will be times where you reach a dead end, for whatever reason you cannot carry on with your journey. It will happen, just pack up jump to somewhere different and start again from a different direction.

Sea travel is particularly difficult as you don't find troll huts on your journey to replenish. It surprising how far a journey can be when you are looking at the compass map. You can do a rough estimate of cost by remembering that a full circle diameter is 1.2km and you only jump a distance of half a circle for 50 feathers. So if you was unlucky enough to travel on sea and find no flags, caves or other jumpable objects a journey of 100km will cost you 200x50 feathers so that's a 10000 feather or 80k gold journey. Not cheap is it. Sea travel can be a very costly and lonely experience. The same also holds true for very remote areas on land but at least there seems to be more plentiful amount of objects that will let you jump onto them.

[Hobos]Kawigi
The Pioneer of the World

Gold: 32530050
Flags: 10268

Post by [Hobos]Kawigi on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:54 am

Beddybear's post has lots of good general explorer tips, many of which don't only apply to the Explorer class. It's my opinion that anything categorized as "hunting advice" as an explorer is misguided. A serious explorer will probably be able to get enough gold to fund most of his/her journeys via gathering and the occasional taunt for leather. That and hunting burrowers isn't any harder for an explorer than almost any other class. There are other hunting techniques that are actually unique to explorers, but I won't get into that simply because I don't want to :-)

Explorer class is all about travelling. Your worst enemy as a traveller is the dang crawlers. Just like you can't build flags too close to creatures, you also can't recenter too close to creatures, and crawlers are always too close. You don't want to go red, because that also costs you time (although serenity can help with that), the alternative is to kill the crawlers by going over dusk trees or monsters that attack them. For instance, trolls, troodonts and dragons will all attack crawlers if you walk over them. Nautiloids will attack once each time you come into range, gyronts and moshas will attack until it dies.

But those dang crawlers are also the reason to highlight DefPolak's mention of having a wolf pet with the hide ability. Yes, a serious explorer needs a wolf. They're not just for reconnaissance anymore. The hide ability also makes all monsters completely ignore you. No crawlers latching onto you, you can walk directly over them. On land, however, look out for dusk trees - if one touches you or your wolf, you'll be unhidden with a cooldown of 5 minutes before you can hide again. For this reason (and the fact that crawlers are a little more sparse on land than on water), I usually don't wolf over land. When traveling on land, though, if you have oiyoi, travel naked.

When traveling on water, you can leave your gear equipped, because encumberance doesn't effect water speed. But here's the big secret about explorering - water travel is faster than land travel. Set a waypoint on your destination, quickslot the recenter action, hide with your wolf, equip your water speed ring, chug a gillen's brew, and start swimming. Once you get going, get familiar with how long it takes you to walk to the edge of the circle. Double tap the green waypoint arrow, look around for a sulfur mine to jump to while counting the time it takes to get to the edge of the circle, and hit the recenter button if you didn't find something else to jump to, and repeat. Under normal conditions you can easily travel over 200 km before your wolf is done if you're focused, and under ideal conditions (i.e. larger than average number of sulfur deposits), I've made 300 km in an hour. It's possible to recenter forward 8-10 times in a minute, which means you can burn the equivalent of 3k-4k gold per minute sprinting over water, but there is no better way to get somewhere far without flags.

Hunting? The standard hunting methods for gold still generally apply. Additionally, if you hunt for leather while you travel, you will probably have more leather than you need, since traveling doesn't require leather. Hunting silk burrowers works as well as it does for anyone else besides legion and warrior. Water hunting will be slower than with combat classes (unless you have golems to hunt with, but if you're a member of a city as an explorer, you're probably doing it wrong). Gathering is where it's at, though. I make money way faster mining than any other way, and gathering thistle and zag hunting (particularly historically) has made me some good money, too.

PvP? It's not in an explorer's best interest to duel. There are plenty of interesting things about explorers as part of a general war strategy, especially when there's a race to build the next flag to replace a fallen structure, but if you're just doing battle against explorers, there's only one rule - assume your city is not private, and your kingdom isn't a secret.

SAShawn

Post by SAShawn on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:09 am

All good and nicey until I red this..
[Hobos]Kawigi wrote:Hunting silk burrowers works as well as it does for anyone else besides legion and warrior.

Care to explain what do you mean, because to me it sounds as if you think that warriors and legions are bad for silky hunting..

[Hobos]Kawigi
The Pioneer of the World

Gold: 32530050
Flags: 10268

Post by [Hobos]Kawigi on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:14 am

SAShawn wrote:All good and nicey until I red this..
[Hobos]Kawigi wrote:Hunting silk burrowers works as well as it does for anyone else besides legion and warrior.

Care to explain what do you mean, because to me it sounds as if you think that warriors and legions are bad for silky hunting..

No, I'm saying legion and warrior are the only classes for which burrower hunting is different (because it's easier if you have a shield bonus or more HP :-) ).

SAShawn

Post by SAShawn on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:12 pm

[Hobos]Kawigi wrote:No, I'm saying legion and warrior are the only classes for which burrower hunting is different (because it's easier if you have a shield bonus or more HP :-) ).

Agreed. Hunting is easier in general if you have more hp ;)

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Gold: 219327
Flags: 6799

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:26 pm

As a Druid with no attack bonus although I do have dodge if I am wearing leather, I would like to think that my hunting abilities are similar to that of an explorer. For silkies I equip a shield and survive; for dragons I use my crawler pet and survive; for general monsters, I just taunt and keep an eye on my hp. I can solo all of the dungeons, but find Jharamet takes too long, and lairs are exhausting. I learn to consider dying the time to check what needs repair and get the action menu up ready to pick up my backpack or repair my armour/weapon.
I like Beddy's guide to exploring as an inveterate collector of city estates. I build as few flags as possible (i take over more than i build) and usually find major roads are well flagged.

Next