forum logo

Does anyone still care about zags? Return to Strategy

SAShawn

World: Legends
Gold: 2587530
Flags: 119

Re: Does anyone still care about zags?

Post by SAShawn on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:56 am

Texaspete wrote:There is too much ice on the market plain and simple. I still hit my spawns occasionally, but find that now I don't even bother selling the feathers. They are great for brick prizes for noobs and the occasional gift for a friend, but thats about it. With so much out there, maybe its time the Zags do a better job of holding on to their feathers and return to dropping only one when killed.

True.
Probably, now the devs will be looking at us saying how we want everything done sharp and fast.. I mean, who requested a increase in ice feathers anyway?
MissMoon wrote:Oh, you are just being argumentative. Did you not see the word "part" in my statement? Yes, fire is more rare, but it is ALSO the latest new toy. I can't be the only one who now wishes for fire metal instead of ice. Is it so hard to believe that some folks have sold off previously horded ice feathers so they can save up for fire instead?

Me? Argumentative? Neveeeer! I saw that "part"... But I still believe that the chance of a zag and the 2 feathers drop really affect that.

«£∮»რıяɑʛɛ
The Phoenix

Gold: 3104345
Flags: 11995

Post by «£∮»რıяɑʛɛ on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:24 am

[Hobos]Kawigi wrote:I think the biggest factor here is just that most people have all the ice they really need, especially if it's not a status symbol.

That's a very "micro-economic" view of things, don't ya think? Just because you and the circle of people you know are content with your ice gear, doesn't mean that the 40,000 regular monthly players have all the ice they need. Not to mention all of the new players who don't have ice yet. Unless you know them all, in which case I apologize. ;)

TheIronTyler
The PerBlue Producer

Gold: 868248
Flags: 30

Post by TheIronTyler on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:30 am

Well, let's try not to get things as personal here and keep it on topic.

Finding a Zagharu should always be an exciting feat. For the record, we here are not happy with how the rarity of Ice Feathers decreased. We originally increased the amount of drops back when we decided to balance Metals. At the time, Ice was vastly underused and we were unsure if that was due to it's rarity or due to it being a worthless Metal. So, we increased the supply and that's how things got to where they are now. It was definitely a mistake on our part and some day (no timeline or promises here) we'd like to rectify it.

[Hobos]Kawigi
The Pioneer of the World

Gold: 32530050
Flags: 10268

Post by [Hobos]Kawigi on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:52 am

«£∮»NightFury wrote:
[Hobos]Kawigi wrote:I think the biggest factor here is just that most people have all the ice they really need, especially if it's not a status symbol.

That's a very "micro-economic" view of things, don't ya think? Just because you and the circle of people you know are content with your ice gear, doesn't mean that the 40,000 regular monthly players have all the ice they need. Not to mention all of the new players who don't have ice yet. Unless you know them all, in which case I apologize. ;)

I'm not talking about the circle of people I know, I'm talking about selling ice metal on the open market. Yes, there is always some demand for it, but at the moment there's a much greater supply and prices have fallen to the "I regret spending the time to find this zag, just take it off my hands" level, relative to the difficulty of getting the stuff.

Indy™
探索者宗师

Gold: 142776877
Flags: 2363

Post by Indy™ on Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:40 pm

«£∮»NightFury wrote:

That's a very "micro-economic" view of things, don't ya think?<snip>

Here's a "macro-economic" view on the same idea. How quickly are we introducing new ice feathers into the PK world relative to how quickly we are introducing new players and their demand for ice? And then subtract how quickly old ice metals are being removed from the system (by players retiring with ice gear). Then we might find that we are quickly saturating the world with ice. It might be because we increased the drop rate. But it's also possible that PK is not getting enough new players. Or player no longer desire ice (because it's not a status symbol). Or older players don't retire with ice but sell their ice gear and keep it in the system.

Back the original, I still get excited about finding zags - but only because of its rarity. I get just as excited about finding a legendary monster. But someday... I would still like to create a "Zag Zoo" (take a zag spawn, drag a zag away, don't kill it! Wait for the next spawn, also drag that zag away... put in another cage...)

[Hobos]Kawigi
The Pioneer of the World

Gold: 32530050
Flags: 10268

Post by [Hobos]Kawigi on Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:47 pm

Love it, Indy :-) I have at least one zag spawn I think I could pull that off.

BigChange
The Judged

Gold: 6578005
Flags: 5309

Post by BigChange on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:39 pm

Indy™ wrote:I would still like to create a "Zag Zoo" (take a zag spawn, drag a zag away, don't kill it! Wait for the next spawn, also drag that zag away... put in another cage...)

Screenshot.. Love to see that when you can pull it off..

Lilbyrdie
The Mentor

Gold: 26983138
Flags: 11448

Post by Lilbyrdie on Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:59 pm

In my time playing -- just hit a year -- ice has never been listed as something to have for hunting, but rather just for PvP. Seeing as how I'd prefer not to PvP, I have no use for ice. The feathers? They look nice on a pedestal, but I rather hang on to them than sell them, too.

Finding a Zag is fun, to be sure, because they are rare. But it's not the windfall that the Phoenix is. But there is a big difference: you don't go out looking for a Phoenix. When you get a Phoenix attack, you feel like you've won the lottery. When you find a Zag, you feel like some hunting and searching has paid off. It's far more satisfying, despite the lack of value.

So, care about Zags? Yes. Care about ice feathers? For the trophy, yes. Care about ice metal? Nope.

If there was something else I could do with ice feathers....

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Gold: 219327
Flags: 6799

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:46 pm

Actually ice is good for billanger, zag, stone golems, yetis, yanglong and laculfa hunting. I also found it useful fighting lair dragons.

SAShawn

Gold: 2587530
Flags: 119

Post by SAShawn on Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:52 pm

K'TILQR wrote:Actually ice is good for billanger, zag, stone golems, yetis, yanglong and laculfa hunting. I also found it useful fighting lair dragons.

Kiting heavy monsters :)

PreviousNext