[Hobos]Kawigi
The Pioneer of the World

World: Legends
Gold: 32530050
Flags: 10268

Does anyone still care about zags?

Post by [Hobos]Kawigi on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:57 am

From another thread:

K'TILQR wrote:Oh and never give up on a zag spawn. It just took 3 months on mine!

So, next question - was it worth the wait?

I should do a more formal analysis of my zag hunting time, but I know about 10 known zag spawns (and only 6 that I really checked consistently, because the others take more effort to get to, shared with other people or just spawn too infrequently). I used to check them three times a day practically religiously, and find two or three zags a week. I think the process probably ate an hour or so out of every day (20 minutes for each rotation?). I had a crafter that I regularly brought my feathers to to craft ice metal for me to sell. It used to be worth the effort to get the extra metal, but he's not a crafter anymore, and I don't really have motivation to find another one. Ice feathers/metal sell for 25k gold or less now, and have been steadily decreasing at least since zags started dropping two feathers instead of one, with small upswings whenever new swag comes out.

Anymore, the only reason to keep looking for zags is to finish off getting 1000 zag tokens and to show them to people who haven't seen them. Sure, if you find a zag, it's worthwhile to kill it, but spending 7 hours a week on getting maybe 6 feathers a week? Seems to me that even if you know where the zags spawn, it's just not worth the effort anymore vs. other activities.

SAShawn

Gold: 2587530
Flags: 119

Re: Does anyone still care about zags?

Post by SAShawn on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:25 pm

Yeah, I agree that the price has dropped a lot. The devs did something about the ice feather, so they would decrease their price. Sadly, I cant say the same for fire feathers. My answer to your question is: Frankly matey, I have no idea. You should go for the 1000 tokens, yes, and if are a a very good person, or a very good vet, invite people when you find a zag, so you could share the excitement, although I dont know how excited you would be after finding all the zags you say you have found...!

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Gold: 219327
Flags: 6799

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:02 pm

Might seem stupid, but i have found more legendary monsters than zags, so yes! I still get excited when i find one!

«£∮»რıяɑʛɛ
The Phoenix

Gold: 3104345
Flags: 11995

Post by «£∮»რıяɑʛɛ on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:21 pm

There's still a bit of excitement when you find a zag, but sadly the value in the ice feather is gone and I rarely actively search my known zag spots, let alone search unknown territory for one. Your rough data says 7 hours = 3 zags = 6 feathers = 150k of value. Very inefficient as compared to ~100k water hunting. It's a shame really, because I remember as a noob working my tail off to find one. It was quite a feather in your cap (pun intended) to have found one.

It used to be 100k per feather and a zag dropped one. It cost at least 300k to infuse ice. Ice was a bit of a status symbol for awhile. It was the sought after metal and actually increased the value of a weapon. Since they changed it to double ice feather drop, the value of a zag find has been cut in half (25k x 2 = 50k), and there is no longer any prestige to owning it. Certainly the fire feather has taken its place with a few differences: 1. It seems to be far rarer, 2. You can't control getting one.

*sentinel*

Gold: 17242230
Flags: 22

Post by *sentinel* on Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:46 pm

Definitely not as exiting finding a zag as it used to be :(

MissMoon
The Green

Gold: 15734338
Flags: 1919

Post by MissMoon on Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:20 am

So far in my PK career of 2 and a half years, I've found 1 zag on mobile and 1 phoenix on the web. So, yeah, I'd still get excited finding one. Ice feathers may not be as rare as they once were, but zags haven't gotten any more common. Finding another zag would still be a thrill to me, even though my interest in using ice metal has waned since trying out cryo on Mafia. Just slowing down stuff didn't seem like such a big thrill. Now, fire metal... that looks like fun. Maybe part of the price drop for ice feathers is simply because fire metal is newer and more attractive as a must-have item.

SAShawn

Gold: 2587530
Flags: 119

Post by SAShawn on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:11 pm

MissMoon wrote: Maybe part of the price drop for ice feathers is simply because fire metal is newer and more attractive as a must-have item.

Or because you have a greater chance of finding a zag, and they drop 2 ice feathers each, nothing like the phoenix.

MissMoon
The Green

Gold: 15734338
Flags: 1919

Post by MissMoon on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:17 pm

SAShawn wrote:
MissMoon wrote: Maybe part of the price drop for ice feathers is simply because fire metal is newer and more attractive as a must-have item.

Or because you have a greater chance of finding a zag, and they drop 2 ice feathers each, nothing like the phoenix.

Oh, you are just being argumentative. Did you not see the word "part" in my statement? Yes, fire is more rare, but it is ALSO the latest new toy. I can't be the only one who now wishes for fire metal instead of ice. Is it so hard to believe that some folks have sold off previously horded ice feathers so they can save up for fire instead?

[Hobos]Kawigi
The Pioneer of the World

Gold: 32530050
Flags: 10268

Post by [Hobos]Kawigi on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:23 am

Yeah, I think in order to understand your argument, you have to "remember" when the wealthy bought each swag and infused it with ice only because it was the most expensive thing (hopefully no one even tries to do that with fire), because they expected that to inherently have the best resale potential later on, regardless of the actual usefulness of ice. The attractiveness of doing that is obviously reduced when ice is 1/4 of the gold price or 1/10 of the food price it used to be.

For me, I looked at the kind of variety of gear I wanted and only had a need for 1 or 2 pieces of ice gear. Now that I have 2, I'm done infusing stuff with ice. There's no practical reason to do it. And since I've put enough ice into the market to get a couple dozen people to that same point, I think the biggest factor here is just that most people have all the ice they really need, especially if it's not a status symbol.

Texaspete
The Gold Hoarder

Gold: 180220155
Flags: 12673

Post by Texaspete on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:31 pm

There is too much ice on the market plain and simple. I still hit my spawns occasionally, but find that now I don't even bother selling the feathers. They are great for brick prizes for noobs and the occasional gift for a friend, but thats about it. With so much out there, maybe its time the Zags do a better job of holding on to their feathers and return to dropping only one when killed.

Next