forum logo

mentor wrlcome measage ideas Return to Mentors and Mentees

drewp

World: Legends
Gold: 4388
Flags: 7750

mentor wrlcome measage ideas

Post by drewp on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:09 am

I've been trying to hone down the message I send to my mentees (the few I get these days) to be short, informative, and direct. I believe most mentees get bogged down with too much or too little info, and just abandon the mentor program. I'll post my standard message at the end, bit I think we should come up with a list of important topics to address with noobs.

For example...

Your mentor is a real person / player ( who may take more than 5 minutes to get back to you)

Food is very important

Don't burn unless you are ready for retaliation

Help chat and forums are good sources of info

Read the updated.

Any thoughts?

Here's mine as promised.
Hello.
My name is drewp. I'm a player like you. I've been asked to be your mentor to help you through your first few weeks of parallel kingdom. I'm very quick to respond, so if you have questions, need help, or are looking for advice, don't hesitate to send me a message. Simply respond to this message.
A few things you should know before I let you go...

Food is the most important item in the game. It is consumed when you level (80 per level) and cannot be made or found. Use your food wisely, and start planning on ways to purchase or trade for more.

Players are people like you and I... No two are alike. That said, attacking and burning others property might make them angry. Try to know a player before you take any action against them.

Kingdoms and cities are great places to group with other players without draining your resources and giving you a wide hunting range. Most encourage new members and help teach. Shop around and the to find a kingdom suited to your play style.

[฿ʟ◎η∂їεVøηSlαυ❡htεя]

Gold: 702111
Flags: 3373

Re: mentor wrlcome measage ideas

Post by [฿ʟ◎η∂їεVøηSlαυ❡htεя] on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:53 am

I like yours. Its short and to the point. Think i may edit mine to shorten it. Mine is three msgs long lol.

drewp

Post by drewp on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:14 pm

I want to say more, but I'm afraid of that slippery slope ... Say more with detail and mire the noob, say more with less detail and confuse them, or say less and hope they play longer than 30 minutes to ask questions. That's why I started this thread... So we can brainstorm ways of giving the noobs just the right amount of info

{ฬ·ร}๔เгtү๔คภ™

Gold: 173829
Flags: 408

Post by {ฬ·ร}๔เгtү๔คภ™ on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:53 pm

Add: [Water Hunt often. Gather everything. Sell in NYC/Köln/Commerence Trade Post.]

**fиℓ**Mia♡Me

Gold: 102723431
Flags: 19096

Post by **fиℓ**Mia♡Me on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:09 am

i think what you should change, its new compared to when a lot of us started to play, that new players kind of "find" food up to a certain level with hunting monsters. and i would write them to not use their food in the beginning for something else but leveling themselves. DO NOT FEED THE DOG. ;)

drewp

Post by drewp on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:30 pm

I just thought of another.... Info button and help chat are great sources of help.... Most of the time ;)

{ฬ·ร}๔เгtү๔คภ™

Post by {ฬ·ร}๔เгtү๔คภ™ on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:23 am

**fиℓ**Miamo wrote:i think what you should change, its new compared to when a lot of us started to play, that new players kind of "find" food up to a certain level with hunting monsters. and i would write them to not use their food in the beginning for something else but leveling themselves. DO NOT FEED THE DOG. ;)

I totally agree. Don't give the dog food. I don't use him at all. Never seen anybody but noobs have them out. And even that is rare. I don't have any other pets, either. They're just a waste when you get good gear.

**fиℓ**Mia♡Me

Gold: 102723431
Flags: 19096

Post by **fиℓ**Mia♡Me on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:35 am

∈∪∫∪∋ wrote:I totally agree. Don't give the dog food. I don't use him at all. Never seen anybody but noobs have them out. And even that is rare. I don't have any other pets, either. They're just a waste when you get good gear.

i use my dog for successfully hunting leather and exploring unclaimed areas.
i do have all pets, not using them often but their special trainings are useful, e.g tailswing of the dragon, shade from the sprite.

my message was just as simple to not feed the dog so it saves food what noobs need to lvl up themselves quicker.

=)

{ฬ·ร}๔เгtү๔คภ™

Post by {ฬ·ร}๔เгtү๔คภ™ on Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:02 pm

I just got a mentee. Here's what I wrote:

Hi! I'm your mentor! I have been asked by the developers to mentor you until you no longer need it. Make no mistake, I am a player just like you. I hope that you will stay and play (pardon the pun) forever. Now, if you choose not to, I will not waste my time explaining to you the does and do nots of the game. Just respond back with "I am staying" and you will know more than me! Please play. I k ow the first days are tough and pointless. But soon enough, it gets WAY better. Enjoy!!

Safira~
The Drunk

Gold: 159465
Flags: 1395

Post by Safira~ on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:07 am

This is how I start...I basically give them direction which leads to them having more questions. The ones who ask questions I invest my time with and send them more detailed help that's relevant. If they're still playing after a week I'll give them some basic mats with instructions on what they're for..ie scales, roc eggs etc.

Hi...i'm your mentor.
I hope you like pk, but it definitely gets better as you level up, get better weapons and make friends. I've been playing 2 years and am still addicted lol

Ok so how to get you started...
A few things you need to do and they are:

Level up.
Hunt hunt hunt. Put a morning tree to your back, attack and start healing as soon as you start to take damage.
Hunting will earn you food in small increments for the first few levels. Save this for levelling up your character only.
Pick up a breast plate, sword & shield from the ground. Repair them using halvars resin (collect larva meat & sap to make) and use your gold to upgrade them in equal measure.

Join a city.
Menu/items/free city ticket...go there.
Find a vacant oil well and crystal patch. Build a city house in the middle then claim the oil well and build a crystal hut, also build a research lab nearby.
Tap the oil well and grow all the golems
you are able to. Tap each golem and instruct it to either harvest crude, collect crystal or research.

Next