what annoys mentors most? Return to Mentors and Mentees

[Hobos]Kezzz
The Aetherwalker

World: Legends
Gold: 7484728
Flags: 23841

Re: what annoys mentors most?

Post by [Hobos]Kezzz on Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:48 am

I think they need to change the way a new player enters the game. I've just recently started taking on mentees. I've had several in the last 2 weeks, and of those several, 1 has responded, a restart begging for gear. All the others are inactive from day 0.

I think when a new player enters the game, the tutorial should be more comprehensive, showing players how to do very basic day 0 stuff i.e. chop wood, hunt for leather, pick berries, etc.

Then, instead of assigning a mentee to a mentor on day 0, wait until day 1. If they come back after day 0, then there's a chance of them actually staying and continuing to play, and less chance of players having mentor lists a mile long with only 1 active mentee.

BlackLord
The Mentor

Gold: 783163
Flags: 5741

Post by BlackLord on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:39 pm

if people are coming through tapjoy... have the requirement be that they reach level 3, and respond once to their mentor.

{ƒαtα£}martinxy01
The Artisan

Gold: 1062144
Flags: 91

Post by {ƒαtα£}martinxy01 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:31 am

BlackLord wrote:if people are coming through tapjoy... have the requirement be that they reach level 3, and respond once to their mentor.

+1

BlackLord
The Mentor

Post by BlackLord on Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:13 am

Looks like things have changed for new players again.

New players now have a small hud with 3 advisors. Keldor the adventurer, halvar the builder, rolly the merchant. Each advisor is actually incredibly helpful... To the point that I wonder if they will be phasing mentors out. I am bitter sweet with this revelation. It is good to see per blue finally making the beginning of this game much more codified and easier to access. At the same time I can see this easily moving towards mentor free world if they keep up the good work. When you read through the information under each advisor I can't help but think that 90 percent of mentors are not as helpful as those Advisors are.

I just hope I don't lose my title if they remove the need for mentors.

The_Black_Hand
The Workhorse

Gold: 81270067
Flags: 19239

Post by The_Black_Hand on Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:15 pm

I turned off mentoring after I got a mentee that only spoke Italian. I live in the US and speak no Italian. He lives in Italy and speaks no English. I used translate but still.....no mentors in Italy? And I've gotten 2 mentor reports filled out. Many of my mentees don't continue to play. It's an outdated system that's been put on the back burner. Which I don't have a problem with because I would rather have more pressing and important issues dealt with first. Hopefully someday with all the changes to release dates the devs will have an opportunity to address this and make the appropriate changes in the future.

BlackLord
The Mentor

Post by BlackLord on Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:44 am

I agree.

i do not however, see how they will continue on with a mentor system. all they really needed was an appropriate entrance to the game. the Mentor system is a clumsy fix to that problem. looks like they are finally addressing those initial problems. the 3 advisor hud is smart in my opinion. it still needs a couple tweaks, but i firmly believe its already more effective than mentors on average.

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Gold: 219327
Flags: 6799

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:11 am

The three advisors looks like a nice addition, but where there is a good mentor/mentee relationship established it can lead to a long term friendship.

I have often taken new players under my wing. I have also seen noobs asking if someone would be their mentor "because my mentor hasn't contacted me". I have never had a mentee pester me for handouts, and although I tutor them and may drop the occassional mat to help them with the initial tasks, I follow the "teach a man to fish to feed him for life, don't just give him a fish that will feed him for a day" philosophy.

There is a recruitment system set up for kingdoms willing to accept noobs. Why not have a similar system set up for mentors? A noob could be given a list of possible mentors who are online with the same default language. This would give him access to their profile, and a quick "do you wish to choose this mentor?". If he taps yes, then pk would message the chosen mentor.

{ฬ·ร}๔เгtү๔คภ™

Gold: 173829
Flags: 408

Post by {ฬ·ร}๔เгtү๔คภ™ on Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:08 pm

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) wrote:The three advisors looks like a nice addition, but where there is a good mentor/mentee relationship established it can lead to a long term friendship.

I have often taken new players under my wing. I have also seen noobs asking if someone would be their mentor "because my mentor hasn't contacted me". I have never had a mentee pester me for handouts, and although I tutor them and may drop the occassional mat to help them with the initial tasks, I follow the "teach a man to fish to feed him for life, don't just give him a fish that will feed him for a day" philosophy.

There is a recruitment system set up for kingdoms willing to accept noobs. Why not have a similar system set up for mentors? A noob could be given a list of possible mentors who are online with the same default language. This would give him access to their profile, and a quick "do you wish to choose this mentor?". If he taps yes, then pk would message the chosen mentor.

+1

Shadeslayer_
The Ready

Gold: 75629
Flags: 151

Post by Shadeslayer_ on Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:13 am

I have had to help many noobs out because their mentors simply didnt care or thought that they were restarts, i never give them gear because i try to save my stuff but i might level up their sword and armour a few times and give them some berries. I dont mind helping people as long as their nice, but like a previous comment pointed out their should be a way to officially set a noob as a mentee and let us claim the benefits when their actual mentors are slacking.

Løst○Viking
The Keeper of Order

Gold: 5762666
Flags: 2183

Post by Løst○Viking on Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:44 am

I'll usually buy my mentees some NS 15ish level gear to help them get some gold, but still, only 2 have stayed long enough to fill out reports, and I think only one is still playing.

PreviousNext