forum logo

Second Chance as a mentor? Return to Mentors and Mentees

*sentinel*

World: Legends
Gold: 17242230
Flags: 22

Second Chance as a mentor?

Post by *sentinel* on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:41 pm

I used to be a mentor when mentoring first came out and for whatever reason I was banned from mentorship? This was over 2 years ago and I still can't become a mentor again. I would love to mentor new players again so could I get a second chance? :D

Kiyohiko
The PerBlue Support Agent

Gold: 135846
Flags: 8

Re: Second Chance as a mentor?

Post by Kiyohiko on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:24 am

This is because at the time you were mentoring you received enough negative feedback that your account lost its ability to receive any more mentors, sorry.

*sentinel*

Post by *sentinel* on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:48 am

Kiyohiko wrote:This is because at the time you were mentoring you received enough negative feedback that your account lost its ability to receive any more mentors, sorry.

I understand but it was over 2 years ago :?
And now I can't get my badge for mentoring or the party hat

Sηow
The Fallen

Gold: 72367247
Flags: 40345

Post by Sηow on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:49 am

So basically a few bad reviews, potentially from mentees that never respond to numerous messages, or alternate accounts, and it's "sorry, you never get to mentor again."?

andrew
The PerBlue Designer

Gold: 150965
Flags: 1

Post by andrew on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:51 am

Snowgod76 wrote:So basically a few bad reviews, potentially from mentees that never respond to numerous messages, or alternate accounts, and it's "sorry, you never get to mentor again."?

It is not as simple or easy as you make it out to be.

@*sentinel* That is currently our policy. The Party Hat is unrelated to mentoring. It is earned by referring friends.

*sentinel*

Post by *sentinel* on Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:15 pm

Thank you for clarifying, someone told me the party hat was for mentoring, so I naturally assumed it was that.

[D]boardwalk

Gold: 2460045
Flags: 3831

Post by [D]boardwalk on Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:48 pm

Are new players able to request a new mentor if their current one is unhelpful or unresponsive?

I can understand sentinel's concern. Permanently disabling mentoring based on noob reviews (when they actually do them) seems a poor solution, especially when there is a game achievement based on it. If permaban is to stay, I think the badge needs to go. Or at least change it to a hat.

Ultimately, new players need easy access to helpful and knowledgeable players to really get started. Maybe there needs to be more criteria, or perhaps some kind of screening, for becoming a mentor. Trying to learn the game and getting an unhelpful mentor obviously sucks. Trying to be a helpful mentor and getting punished is worse. We'd all like to say that good help gets good reviews, but we know how things can go.

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Gold: 219327
Flags: 6799

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:47 am

I appreciate that some mentors should not be mentors. We have all seen players boasting of killing their mentees for their backpacks and laughing about it. But as you can become a mentor so easily, even a 13 year old who had played for two weeks could become one. A few bad reviews and their mentoring is stopped, fine. BUT give that player a year so they are more mature and let them try again.

Personally, I think that becoming a mentor is still far too easy. A mentor should be level30 with 3 months gameplay.

Lilbyrdie
The Mentor

Gold: 26983138
Flags: 11448

Post by Lilbyrdie on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:09 am

K'TILQR wrote:I appreciate that some mentors should not be mentors. We have all seen players boasting of killing their mentees for their backpacks and laughing about it. But as you can become a mentor so easily, even a 13 year old who had played for two weeks could become one. A few bad reviews and their mentoring is stopped, fine. BUT give that player a year so they are more mature and let them try again.

Personally, I think that becoming a mentor is still far too easy. A mentor should be level30 with 3 months gameplay.

I think you mean level 40.

And I think they should have more of the game unlocked that just level 40.

From my experience, 3 months is barely enough to understand much of the game. An answer a level 40 three month old gives for, say "what skills should I get (at level 3)?" is probably far different from what a 1 year old who has tried several specializations, will give.

My big issue as a mentor is that I can't respond when on a device without a keyboard. The answers to the real questions asked aren't simple enough. Nor can I link to the guide sections I want to reference.

So, it ends up taking time, I can't respond immediately, etc.

And it's absolutely not worth the time for those mentees that actually do ask questions. And everyones definition of what a good mentor is varies a lot. I've successfully helped many who are still playing, still in game friends, etc, but I can tell from my score that they didn't answer positively to the question.

So, I've stopped doing it for the time being. Too much trouble for me.

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Gold: 219327
Flags: 6799

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:11 pm

The reason I said 30 is that some veterans who are long standing mentors may never have bothered to level up. I am sometimes surprised to see long established players still not at 40

Next