Second Chance as a mentor? Return to Mentors and Mentees

Lilbyrdie
The Mentor

World: Legends
Gold: 26983138
Flags: 11448

Re: Second Chance as a mentor?

Post by Lilbyrdie on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:37 pm

K'TILQR wrote:The reason I said 30 is that some veterans who are long standing mentors may never have bothered to level up. I am sometimes surprised to see long established players still not at 40

Isn't that a problem, though? That means they aren't in touch with the current shape of the game.

I haven't been playing as long as many, but when I started, the game was overwhelmingly large. Yet, it's far bigger now. Lengendary beasts, golem towers, city buildings outside of trade posts, city sewers, kingdom buildings, kingdom perks, daily swag giveaways*, a dozen unlocks per level, flag attacks, fire, food bonuses on kills, many new skills, new skill points, new ways to get skill points (that aren't even unlock until 35 now), many new beasts, and so on. Heck, that alone is a lot of stuff not to mention all the old stuff.

Do you really think someone still stuck at level 30 is going to be able to help well with any of it, how it changes early choices, and so on? Being a responsive mentor doesn't make them a good mentor, necessarily. (There is an exception to this.. there are some players that have plenty of experience with the new stuff -- even level 40 stuff -- but are still level 30. And I don't mean alts, though that explains it, too.)

* Ok, not that. Just seeing who's paying attention.

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Gold: 219327
Flags: 6799

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:30 am

As a mentor is only meant to be helping for the first 5 days, most of the high level knowledge noobs don't need. They need to be taught about the forum, the damage matrix, how to use trade posts, how to read profiles, - they don't need to be taught how to duel with veterans, to run a lair let alone a sunken city (or ToG), or how to fight Legendary. If a noob manages to get past level15 in 5 days, my first thought would be "restart".

It is true some mentors help long after the 5 days, but I wouldn't expect to try and teach a noob about kingdom war mechanics.

MillerJR
The Brick Wall

Gold: 327278
Flags: 10183

Post by MillerJR on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:37 am

K'TILQR wrote:As a mentor is only meant to be helping for the first 5 days, most of the high level knowledge noobs don't need. They need to be taught about the forum, the damage matrix, how to use trade posts, how to read profiles, - they don't need to be taught how to duel with veterans, to run a lair let alone a sunken city (or ToG), or how to fight Legendary. If a noob manages to get past level15 in 5 days, my first thought would be "restart".

It is true some mentors help long after the 5 days, but I wouldn't expect to try and teach a noob about kingdom war mechanics.

My mentor helped with all of it from day one of gameplay all the way to today he still helps me although the "noob" questions dont get asked as much but still helpful

*sentinel*

Gold: 17242230
Flags: 22

Post by *sentinel* on Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:19 pm

To the devs: its been said here before and I'll say it again - I got a couple bad mentor reviews over 2 years ago and now I'm banned from ever being a mentor again? And I can't get the badge for being a mentor. (Note that my mentorship got revoked way before the badge came out, had I known a badge would be on the line I would have been more responsable).

I shouldn't be forever banned from being a mentor and it seems like quite a few people here agree. And if there's no way for me or anyone else who was banned from mentorship to get the wax on, wax off badge then that badge shouldn't exist. Period.

Sηow
The Fallen

Gold: 72367247
Flags: 40345

Post by Sηow on Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:53 am

*sentinel* wrote:To the devs: its been said here before and I'll say it again - I got a couple bad mentor reviews over 2 years ago and now I'm banned from ever being a mentor again? And I can't get the badge for being a mentor. (Note that my mentorship got revoked way before the badge came out, had I known a badge would be on the line I would have been more responsable).

I shouldn't be forever banned from being a mentor and it seems like quite a few people here agree. And if there's no way for me or anyone else who was banned from mentorship to get the wax on, wax off badge then that badge shouldn't exist. Period.

+1

|L|Pacers
The Grand Master Explorer

Gold: 8023307
Flags: 6234

Post by |L|Pacers on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:53 pm

Is there an official PK mentor black list? I haven't received one in ages! I'd like to think I'm a nice, helpful guy :)

ㄗℜσ♡вοοвyтяaρ

Gold: 15096406
Flags: 13489

Post by ㄗℜσ♡вοοвyтяaρ on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:57 am

i agree with Kt. Not all players should become a mentor. Maybe a minimum of days+lvl would be a groot criteria to become a mentor.

I also think it should be easier for a mentee to find his/her mentor (automatically make friends?) so they can always pm their mentor without a lot of searching.

Sηow
The Fallen

Gold: 72367247
Flags: 40345

Post by Sηow on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:02 am

Well, after 6 long months, I finally got another mentee! He unfortunately logged off (apparently for the last time) before I could even finish the message to him, but hey, its a start and I will take it.

jinak

Gold: 448533
Flags: 176

Post by jinak on Sun May 19, 2013 12:51 pm

A request for new mentors should be put in.

I started about two weeks ago. I paid for platinum after 2-3 days and I enjoy the game very much. I'm not a restart at all. Maybe my mentor thought I was.

He sent one message that said "Kill Stags and I'll message you later"

Never heard anything from him again.

I was lucky K'tilqr saw a forum post and helped me along the way. Thank you for her.

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Gold: 219327
Flags: 6799

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Sun May 19, 2013 1:02 pm

Aw, ty jinak {blush}

PreviousNext