Ms.Liz
The Green

World: Legends
Gold: 1361949
Flags: 3223

Re: What Annoys New Players About PK?

Post by Ms.Liz on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:13 pm

MissMoon wrote:
Ms.Liz wrote:What about removing the food reward for adopted mentees? For players like me that legitimately want to help new players and aren't as concerned about tangible rewards.

How is that different than just helping them without being their mentor? That way they can still ding the bad mentor when it's time to do a rating.

You'd get the free travel, progress on the badge, and the noob added to your mentees list so you can keep up with them easier. I've been adopting orphaned noobs for over a year, and I really wish I could have the perks associated with mentoring. The food, not so much.

I have to admit, I haven't used the current mentoring system, because my friends who do all describe it to be mostly negative--players they never hear from, restarts/alts, and otherwise bad fits. Some element of choice would be best in my opinion. I like KT's suggestion of matching to mentors who are online at the time for two reasons: mentors and mentees are much more likely to have similar play times and mentors who play more often have better odds of receiving mentees. I don't like the idea of a personalized message though; the reviews of the game are filled with offers of "super rare ancient kingdom items!" and "millions in gold!" in exchange for using referall codes. ;) Maybe just a brief description of the player based on a survey of play style?

Edit: KT's suggestion was in the Mentor/Mentee Survey thread.

Lilbyrdie
The Mentor

Gold: 26983138
Flags: 11448

Post by Lilbyrdie on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:22 am

MissMoon wrote:Let's create a list of things that annoy new players that the developers can fix. I'll start with these items:

1. Not being able to enter their cabin until they upgrade it with 100 wood.

2. Not being able to use Metallurgy 1 to create ice metal because zags are so rare.

3. Finding an abandoned city when they use their city ticket to join a city.

#1 is no longer true. The new player cabin is different from any 2nd cabin you build.

2. lol

3. Absolutely a big problem

Plus..

4. Thinking that getting 3.7 million gold cumulative for a +26 sounds impossible when saving up over 10k gold is diffcult.

5. Thinking the game is gear towards having to spend money on food by about level 5.

6. Wrapping your head around levels not having to do with power; just unlocks. Item levels have to do with power. Players from other RPGs often want to power level so they can kill things faster.

7. Regardless of your weapon power, beasts spawn based on it. Thus, battles don't get easier until skills and ring bonuses kick in to boost power over effective level. The only thing that really gets improved is gold dropping. That took me a while to really grok.

8. That most gear and specializations are surprisingly well balanced and no one piece is better in all cases than other peices. There's not a "One Build" that everyone uses, like that other game...

MissMoon
The Green

Gold: 15734338
Flags: 1919

Post by MissMoon on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:20 am

Lilbyrdie wrote: #1 is no longer true. The new player cabin is different from any 2nd cabin you build.

Is that a recent change? How do you know that?

Lilbyrdie
The Mentor

Post by Lilbyrdie on Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:50 am

MissMoon wrote:
Lilbyrdie wrote: #1 is no longer true. The new player cabin is different from any 2nd cabin you build.

Is that a recent change? How do you know that?

If you destroy your starting manor and build a new log cabin, you get a message stating as much. Something to the effect that, "This isn't like your starting log cabin. You can't enter it... blah blah"

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Gold: 219327
Flags: 6799

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:14 pm

The ice metal one really annoyed me as a noob. Why have something no noob stands a hope of getting in the first level? Personally I would make it banish and dead.

Lilbyrdie
The Mentor

Post by Lilbyrdie on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:16 pm

K'TILQR wrote:The ice metal one really annoyed me as a noob. Why have something no noob stands a hope of getting in the first level? Personally I would make it banish and dead.

I wonder what the log was behind the ordering. Something like:

Dead/banish
honed/shade
ice/poison/fire

Would make more sense, right?

MissMoon
The Green

Gold: 15734338
Flags: 1919

Post by MissMoon on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:39 pm

Lilbyrdie wrote:
K'TILQR wrote:The ice metal one really annoyed me as a noob. Why have something no noob stands a hope of getting in the first level? Personally I would make it banish and dead.

Dead/banish
honed/shade
ice/poison/fire

I assume the current ordering was picked to make trade more necessary, to encourage player interaction.

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Gold: 219327
Flags: 6799

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:32 am

Possibly, but what noob can afford ice feathers? Let alone find them!

Lilbyrdie
The Mentor

Post by Lilbyrdie on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:34 pm

K'TILQR wrote:Possibly, but what noob can afford ice feathers? Let alone find them!

No kidding. 3x ice feathers is more expensive than the cumulative cost of an un-infused +21 item.

Here's the current ordering of metals by 3x cost, rounded to the nearest 10k, FWIW:

Shade: 10k
Dead: 20k
Banish: 30k
Poison: 30k
Honed: 50k
Ice: 130k
Fire: 16.5m

(This also shows me we need metals/effects at about the 1m range and 5m range in cost. ;) )

Ms.Liz
The Green

Gold: 1361949
Flags: 3223

Post by Ms.Liz on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Lilbyrdie wrote:

Dead/banish
honed/shade
ice/poison/fire

Maybe because ice and banish can be made with mats the player can collect without entering a dungeon? Dead needs essence, and noobs can't enter groves. Ice *is* expensive for a noob, but they can get their own (in theory). In practice, though, both ice and thistles are difficult for noobs to collect, and banish isn't really a top priority early on. I agree the order needs to be changed.

It's not a great noob skill anyway, since they can't collect mats for some metals, and others are very challenging. It's probably better for them to buy the metals instead of the mats to make them.

PreviousNext