What Annoys New Players About PK? Return to Mentors and Mentees

gⓞⓞƒ™
The Phoenix

World: Legends
Gold: 708891
Flags: 2479

Re: What Annoys New Players About PK?

Post by gⓞⓞƒ™ on Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:26 pm

I think new players flags and avi shouldn't b able to b attacked till they r level 10 and they shouldn't be able to attack others or their stuff either kinda a noob protection if u will

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Gold: 219327
Flags: 6799

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:14 am

I am sure that noob protection is there goof. They are unable to attack or be attacked for the first few days.

Are you suggesting that this be increased?

Are you suggesting that they be unable to "switch off noob protection"?

KingoFutura
The Unstoppable Berserker

Gold: 416683811
Flags: 29427

Post by KingoFutura on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:47 am

The idea posted earlier of adopting a noob is a great idea. I have a few I have taken under my wing and help. For the mentors that do not help there should be an option for noobs to leave that mentor and be adopted by a new mentor. But this would need to have a limit so players do not go and buy mentees. For example a mentee should be able to pick a new mentor one time or have it automated so the computer randomly chooses a new mentor. Just my thoughts.

{«τλ»}≈Ďåřķ╰_╯Phęºņįx™
The Prospector

Gold: 1382347
Flags: 12404

Post by {«τλ»}≈Ďåřķ╰_╯Phęºņįx™ on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:11 am

Ms.Liz wrote:I know I was annoyed when my mentor never contacted me. Would be nice if players could officially adopt noobs as their mentees, in the event that their mentor was not helpful.

I actually went as far to message tech about this exact same thing. The noob I ran across ended up having a mentor that had been inactive for a very long time. Tech tried to manually assign him to me since I had been the one helping him but they said they were unable to do it. Something about the code.

Anyway, +1 and -1 to this idea.

+1 reason.....would give actual new players the chance to learn and have any questions answered if the original mentor sucked

-1 reason.....players would take total advantage of it even if the choice was left to the mentee. The only way I could possibly see this working is if there were a limit to how many you can adopt per day/week/month. even then i think it would be toyed with until it can be manipulated in the mentors favor. Would also give players more of a want to make Alt accounts so they could adopt themselves and get a good review.

MissMoon
The Green

Gold: 15734338
Flags: 1919

Post by MissMoon on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:16 am

I've always been told that the reason players couldn't pick a new mentor was that it would open the process up to abuse. It would motivate people to start alt accounts and then conveniently pick themselves as a mentor and rate themselves highly to gain the food reward, I guess.

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Gold: 219327
Flags: 6799

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:08 pm

I agree MissMoon, that's why I think my suggestion of a short list of possible mentors with limited info being offered might help noobs. If say 3 different mentors were offered, all online at the time the possible mentors were put to the noob, this would prevent inactive players being picked and would mean that an alt would have to be playing on two devices at the same time to pick himself - not impossible I admit but that could be blocked by not allowing the mentor and mentee to be at the same location.

Ms.Liz
The Green

Gold: 1361949
Flags: 3223

Post by Ms.Liz on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:35 pm

What about removing the food reward for adopted mentees? For players like me that legitimately want to help new players and aren't as concerned about tangible rewards.

MissMoon
The Green

Gold: 15734338
Flags: 1919

Post by MissMoon on Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:31 pm

Ms.Liz wrote:What about removing the food reward for adopted mentees? For players like me that legitimately want to help new players and aren't as concerned about tangible rewards.

How is that different than just helping them without being their mentor? That way they can still ding the bad mentor when it's time to do a rating.

KT, I see what you are saying and that might work.

[Hobos]Kawigi
The Pioneer of the World

Gold: 32530050
Flags: 10268

Post by [Hobos]Kawigi on Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:03 pm

K'TILQR wrote:...an alt would have to be playing on two devices at the same time to pick himself...

TBH, it's probably not worth worrying about - if someone gets a choice to pick one's self or someone they know irl, there was a 1 in 3 chance they would have randomly been assigned that way anyways.

Ðεjà฿òó
The Drunk

Gold: 11059752
Flags: 2684

Post by Ðεjà฿òó on Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:45 pm

Personally I agree that noobs need a starter package that gets them going quicker. Most noobs I've refferred, mentored, or just help generally complain of slow start. First thing I usually do is give them 150 wood and leather, a few stone, and upgrade their gear to at least lvl 10 or better depending on gold, along with a gold contribution and anything else I can afford that they may need.

On a side note, I'm 523 days into this game and just finally heard from my mentor for the first time 2 days ago lol. He never contacted me before and no one jumped in to help me in his place. I did it the hard way, myself. This isn't whining, but I want you guys to know why I try to do a lot with helping noobs. This is a great thread and thanks to all contributing to this and making a better start for players.

PreviousNext