What Annoys New Players About PK? Return to Mentors and Mentees

MissMoon
The Green

World: Legends
Gold: 15734338
Flags: 1919

What Annoys New Players About PK?

Post by MissMoon on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Let's create a list of things that annoy new players that the developers can fix. I'll start with these items:

1. Not being able to enter their cabin until they upgrade it with 100 wood.

2. Not being able to use Metallurgy 1 to create ice metal because zags are so rare.

3. Finding an abandoned city when they use their city ticket to join a city.

Sherlock£Holmes
Le Prudent

Gold: 1656415
Flags: 2660

Re: What Annoys New Players About PK?

Post by Sherlock£Holmes on Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:30 pm

well… when the noobs mentor has awesome gear…

Ms.Liz
The Green

Gold: 1361949
Flags: 3223

Post by Ms.Liz on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:26 pm

I know I was annoyed when my mentor never contacted me. Would be nice if players could officially adopt noobs as their mentees, in the event that their mentor was not helpful.

[ШгДith]悠悠悠悠

World: Horizons

Post by [ШгДith]悠悠悠悠 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:33 am

not indication how they can reply that first message,accept their first invitation, become friend to their mentor. I mean besides the game tutorial there should be some interface tutorial as well. Some mentee never reply me and died, maybe they just do not know how to reply and feel lonely.

also for different language players, their own language chat is not on by default as I know. The first time they log in, finding there is no anyone else in this game except him. "Just another RPG but with worse graphic and no great story ." with such comment they log off and delete the game.

I was mistaken as auto message several times by my mentees till I finally add a sentence in my introduction: " this is a real players being here for more than one year talking to you." so they start to talk with me in that mentorship message.

andrew
The PerBlue Designer

Gold: 150965
Flags: 1

Post by andrew on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:20 am

Sherlock£Holmes wrote:well… when the noobs mentor has awesome gear…

You mean when the mentor has high level gear and spawns stuff the mentee can't fight?

andrew
The PerBlue Designer

Post by andrew on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:26 am

andrew wrote:
Sherlock£Holmes wrote:well… when the noobs mentor has awesome gear…

You mean when the mentor has high level gear and spawns stuff the mentee can't fight?

The rest of the points you guys bring up are really good. I would like to hear more problems like MissMoon pointed out. That is problems that new people have that aren't directly related to mentors. Those are things we could change easily.

[D]boardwalk

Gold: 2460045
Flags: 3831

Post by [D]boardwalk on Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:33 pm

I've had a few friends try to start playing, but quit when they couldn't get away from pvp. Maybe it was the area they entered the game, but they couldn't seem to hunt or build in their own rl location without getting attacked and burned by other players (apparently walking their pets did not get them far enough away). They didn't want any part of pvp, at least not yet, so they gave up trying to get started.

I remember as a noob finding it very difficult to know what I should be doing at any given time. I try to learn new games by playing solo on the first "run-through" so I can experience the mechanics and react to the environment, and I always read the instruction manual cover to cover. I prefer to know what I'm doing before doing it; I don't generally like to try something without having some idea what it will do or if it will be useful. Unfortunately, the guide is full of generalities that only scratch the surface of the mechanics. For instance, at level 3 I can build my first oil well and crystal hut. Why should I? I look up what oil and crystal can do for me. Do I want those things? Are they worth it? Even my mentor said, when I mentioned the guide seemed incomplete, "The guide sucks so don't bother. Just go to help chat if you have questions."

I didn't realize at first that the game is built around the social aspect, rather than vice-versa. It may just be a playstyle thing, but it took me a good month before I felt comfortable in the game (I loved the concepts of the game overall, so I kept trying), finally learning that I needed to somehow set my own goals at the same time as learning how to play. I repeatedly hoped to gain some direction from the guide and met with disappointment. I felt like the only way to understand the game was to play it all at once, and that was overwhelming. With no clear goal set out before a new player, I can feel the lack of motivation. Incorporating a story, however minimal, might help with that. And not just flavor text where an answer to "how does this work?" should be, but some plot based immersion that advances as I take notable actions and that gives insight to next steps. Perhaps a message to the new events folder at each level up, first run of a dungeon type, and new skill unlock that connects the player to the PvE storyline while providing hints and suggestions on things to do.

✰Bexi✰
The Flightless

Gold: 1000633
Flags: 14807

Post by ✰Bexi✰ on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:15 pm

I must have overlooked this thread yesterday or I would have posted my 'noobville' idea here. Sorry! There's a lot of good feedback here for sure!

I think in a nutshell pk has progressed so much that the new player start up hasn't kept up well enough to work. I had a friend join the other day and even she told me that she would have quit the game if I hadn't been there to give her start up stuff and a place to begin. (her relocate spot was in the middle of a kingdom with private flags).
At this point pk is so populated that it's hard to find a good unoccupied spot to claim territory. When pk began that was one of the highlights of the game- owning your city and building up huge hunting grounds to bring people to hunt with you.
I truly feel something needs to change quickly about the new player beginnings as every day that goes without it we lose potential pk addicts. I rarely if ever have mentees reply anymore.
If nothing else- give them a start up bag with essentials and some plat items and a choice of weapons and armor. That way we mentors at least aren't out those items we freely give to get people playing the game. It's frustrating as a mentor to do that and then they quit the game next day. I know not all mentors do that- I'm js.
I think the 'adopt a mentor' is a good idea for people who's mentors don't respond. I love the idea about putting level up info in the events folder. And other helpful hints. That would be my second choice (noobville is still my first choice although I understand it would be a lot of work)
New faces keep pk interesting for us older pkers.
I want my mentees to stay!

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Gold: 219327
Flags: 6799

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:03 am

The question that I get asked is "what is the point of this game?"

My answer

"you are a settler on a parallel universe. This planet is an exact copy of earth, the roads are there, but no cities except those we build ourselves. You need to find an area to settle, hunt, gather materials. The original settlers are well established and guard their territory fiercely, but some will allow you to build in their territory if u ask nicely. But don't feel nostalgic for where your house is in real life, you left it behind when u came. As a new settler, you need to develop a role in this society - hunter/gatherer is all u can be at the start but there are many routes open to you. Tap everything, read info. Open the chat rooms, lurk and read what is said, get to know who looks nice or nasty. If u have a mentor, ask them about classes, how to kill monsters. Pick up everything you see, pick every berry, flower. Dump the dropped weapons for gold (you can do it while chopping). Get into a routine, mine was :- log on in morning, buy feathers, explore hunt gather, before bed go to trade hub - post excess mats for gold or food, log off - wake up to a full purse! Repeat. As in real life, nothing comes without work, if u want a quick hack and slash, this game is not for you"

andrew
The PerBlue Designer

Post by andrew on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:34 pm

K'TILQR wrote:The question that I get asked is "what is the point of this game?"

My answer

"you are a settler on a parallel universe. This planet is an exact copy of earth, the roads are there, but no cities except those we build ourselves. You need to find an area to settle, hunt, gather materials. The original settlers are well established and guard their territory fiercely, but some will allow you to build in their territory if u ask nicely. But don't feel nostalgic for where your house is in real life, you left it behind when u came. As a new settler, you need to develop a role in this society - hunter/gatherer is all u can be at the start but there are many routes open to you. Tap everything, read info. Open the chat rooms, lurk and read what is said, get to know who looks nice or nasty. If u have a mentor, ask them about classes, how to kill monsters. Pick up everything you see, pick every berry, flower. Dump the dropped weapons for gold (you can do it while chopping). Get into a routine, mine was :- log on in morning, buy feathers, explore hunt gather, before bed go to trade hub - post excess mats for gold or food, log off - wake up to a full purse! Repeat. As in real life, nothing comes without work, if u want a quick hack and slash, this game is not for you"

I like this answer a lot. Maybe we could put it somewhere?

Next