Back to PK
forum logo

Optimizing game performance Return to Horizons (Web)

kingquoc
The Beta Knight

World: Legends
Gold: 1831128
Flags: 925

Optimizing game performance

Post by kingquoc on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:42 pm

I would like to know/think about/share with you guys tips to optimize PK when playing on the Horizon server.

I am playing on chrome and, occasionnally, jumping flags lags a lot ; also, chrome would crash when I am playing for a long time as if it accumulated too much data in its memory...

Is there tips to increase cache/memory/browser's efficiency?

[D]boardwalk

Gold: 2460045
Flags: 3831

Re: Optimizing game performance

Post by [D]boardwalk on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:48 pm

Web performance depends on your operating system quite a lot, as well. As to the more few simple things: disable unnecessary add-ons, close other programs, check for updates, blah blah blah. An easier way to see what might actually be your bottleneck is to run a performance monitor (most third party ones I've used are more in-depth than the OS built-ins, btw). It could be something simple, and usually is.

For custom optimization, there are a lot of options depending on what system and application parameters you are comfortable working with (and have available to work on). For instance, you might be able to allocate additional virtual memory to the browser if it's smart enough to use it efficiently. Maybe you could manipulate some collaboration between process hyperthreading and overclocking (usually need an intermediate app to manage this, though I've only seen it done with local apps, not browser based). If you know any power gamers that build custom systems regularly, see if they might help you with a quick tear down of your build to see what can be done.

-hal-
The Ignited

World: Horizons
Gold: 2399580
Flags: 6714

Post by -hal- on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:06 am

Welcome to Horizons... Who are you in game? (you're posting with your Legends account, so can't see your Horizons name) Ask in help chat, lots of us have lots of tips/tricks that could be shared, though, not everyone reads the forums.

-hal-

kingquoc
The Beta Knight

Gold: 1831128
Flags: 925

Post by kingquoc on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:45 pm

oh, Hal, I am Altimar_Prometheus, and thanks for the welcome!

Altimar_Prometheus
The Burning Lieutenant

Gold: 6082
Flags: 16160

Post by Altimar_Prometheus on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:56 pm

I guess I should have seen it coming to me... oh well, here is my hardware config, althought I don't think that this is what is involved in slow performances:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 905e 2ghz
RAM 8 GIG
Browser: Chrome
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

No add-on, no big programs running at the same time....

Still have some lag when jumping flags, especially if I zoom out...

Crash regurlarly after 1 or 2 hours of playtime, as if something has been accumulating in cache or memory...

Read about flags in chrome, was asking myself if something in there could help, or any other tweaks that I don't know about.

*utopi*
The Trader

Gold: 5383
Flags: 609

Post by *utopi* on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:13 pm

Web needs quick slots, key chains and maybe a way to drop reward hats in manor. Hunting/PVPing with inventory open makes the game impossible to play :(
Some players already asked for that in this forum but we never got an answer from devs...

Lots of players and I here believe this server will be closed soon, "hopefully" we are wrong.

Altimar_Prometheus
The Burning Lieutenant

Post by Altimar_Prometheus on Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:20 pm

*utopi* wrote:Web needs quick slots, key chains and maybe a way to drop reward hats in manor. Hunting/PVPing with inventory open makes the game impossible to play :(
Some players already asked for that in this forum but we never got an answer from devs...

Lots of players and I here believe this server will be closed soon, "hopefully" we are wrong.

I certainly hope they do not (bought 100$ worth of food recently)

Is there any basis to this rumor other than the "why do you play Horizon" thread?

Altimar_Prometheus
The Burning Lieutenant

Post by Altimar_Prometheus on Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:13 am

Here are a summary of the recommendations that seem to work:

[list=]Don't play with your inventory or travel list opened ;
Installing 64 bits version of browsers.[/list]

On a side note, I am puzzled by the memory usage made by PK Web (O.O) and I am regularly force to refresh due to an unresponsive interface resulting in "out of range", "this is not here" and "can't attack while dead" messages.

Making the above changes semmed to help a little.

♈♈TaShA♈♈
The Kingslayer

Gold: 1042351
Flags: 631

Post by ♈♈TaShA♈♈ on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:58 pm

Well I haven't been on web in a while
( Harmonious Assassin )
but it seems like there is not much going g on I hope things get better over there for you all: )

ℳoldyBanana
The Silk Slasher

Flags: 30

Post by ℳoldyBanana on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:00 pm

Altimar_Prometheus wrote:
*utopi* wrote:I here believe this server will be closed soon

Is there any basis to this rumor[?]

That comment made my heart skip a beat. I'm curious, as well; from whom did you hear this?