☞ PK City Directory V.2 [10523 - 2814 additions] Return to General Discussion

Micali
The Mentor

World: Legends
Gold: 15297882
Flags: 1834

☞ PK City Directory V.2 [10523 - 2814 additions]

Post by Micali on Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:30 pm

It has come to my attention that AngryMinotaur, last month, chose to rip off my VERY hard work over the last 9 months by taking the entire city directory, and putting it on a web site he built. No references to where he got the data. No thank-you. No credit. And on top of that, he chose to ask people on this site to add updates to his cloned directory, effectively trying to completely replace this one by redirecting efforts by others to his instead.

NOW some of you may understand why I haven't been updating the directory here. Truth is I have almost 2000 updates/additions I have yet to add here BUT knowing he stole my collection efforts for his own "site". If I update he will probably just steal it again.

BTW, for those who want to claim he collected the information himself. Let's just say that's not really possible. You see, there are 15+ million building Ids in PK to date. PerBlue made me agree to throttle my collection efforts so as to not add lag to the game. So I agreed to ease up on their servers. In order to build his directory from scratch, without stealing my database, and do so quietly without adding lag to the game, it would take him about 5 months of 24/7 crawling. Maybe he could double his rate but he would probably get noticed and it would still take 2-2.5 of crawling the website 24/7. And yes, over the last 9 months, I have made over 15 million page hits just to bring you this directory. That's 6 months worth of work.

Besides being infeasible, I also long ago embedded little "markers" throughout the data. Little signs so if anyone stole the work "lock, stock, and barrel" I could tell. I have 18 said markers. No single marker proves, but the more the higher the odds the person cloned my efforts directly. How many of these flags does the directory provided by his site contain? 18 out of 18. All of them.

So, I will no longer be updating this directory in the forum (make sure you tell AngryMinotaur thanks btw).
I will be exposing a small public website, eventually, to be home for the city directory (including the 2000 unpublished updates).
I will not be taking down these posts because, frankly, why bother? He already stole the cumulative work and removing it from here would only push people to his sight, effectively rewarding a thief.

FYI: Interesting fact is virtually every tool he has on his "trader" site are features I had developed in a private site almost 3 months before his ever existed. In January/February (when he started his site) I was heavily chatting in help/trade chat about my extensive trade data and tools I had developed. No he did not steal that work, but unless he never visited chat he wasn't even the originator of even those ideas.

Example: City Name Here » Date Founded Here
☞ City names in GREEN denote that the city no longer exists! Destruction confirmed as of Thursday, April 14, 2011 CST

Last edited by Micali on Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:12 am, edited 24 times in total.

Micali
The Mentor

☞ ☞ PK City Directory V.2 (B)

Post by Micali on Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:31 pm

It has come to my attention that AngryMinotaur, last month, chose to rip off my VERY hard work over the last 9 months by taking the entire city directory, and putting it on a web site he built. No references to where he got the data. No thank-you. No credit. And on top of that, he chose to ask people on this site to add updates to his cloned directory, effectively trying to completely replace this one by redirecting efforts by others to his instead.

NOW some of you may understand why I haven't been updating the directory here. Truth is I have almost 2000 updates/additions I have yet to add here BUT knowing he stole my collection efforts for his own "site". If I update he will probably just steal it again.

BTW, for those who want to claim he collected the information himself. Let's just say that's not really possible. You see, there are 15+ million building Ids in PK to date. PerBlue made me agree to throttle my collection efforts so as to not add lag to the game. So I agreed to ease up on their servers. In order to build his directory from scratch, without stealing my database, and do so quietly without adding lag to the game, it would take him about 5 months of 24/7 crawling. Maybe he could double his rate but he would probably get noticed and it would still take 2-2.5 of crawling the website 24/7. And yes, over the last 9 months, I have made over 15 million page hits just to bring you this directory. That's 6 months worth of work.

Besides being infeasible, I also long ago embedded little "markers" throughout the data. Little signs so if anyone stole the work "lock, stock, and barrel" I could tell. I have 18 said markers. No single marker proves, but the more the higher the odds the person cloned my efforts directly. How many of these flags does the directory provided by his site contain? 18 out of 18. All of them.

So, I will no longer be updating this directory in the forum (make sure you tell AngryMinotaur thanks btw).
I will be exposing a small public website, eventually, to be home for the city directory (including the 2000 unpublished updates).
I will not be taking down these posts because, frankly, why bother? He already stole the cumulative work and removing it from here would only push people to his sight, effectively rewarding a thief.

FYI: Interesting fact is virtually every tool he has on his "trader" site are features I had developed in a private site almost 3 months before his ever existed. In January/February (when he started his site) I was heavily chatting in help/trade chat about my extensive trade data and tools I had developed. No he did not steal that work, but unless he never visited chat he wasn't even the originator of even those ideas.

☞ City names in GREEN denote that the city no longer exists! Destruction confirmed as of Thursday, April 14, 2011 CST

Last edited by Micali on Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:12 am, edited 14 times in total.

Micali
The Mentor

☞ ☞ PK City Directory V.2 (CDE)

This is a city directory of reformatted public information. It is NOT complete. NO ONE provided information to assist me. If you go yelling at your friend for telling me about your city, stop being a jerk & go apologize to them! If you find it useful, send me a PM in the game to show your love...thanks micali 8-)

If you find a city you would like to register with me as private (or whatever you want to call it), send a pm for information about registering cities. You MUST be a founder to register. While I have worked hard to provide this city directory free of charge, private city registration does carry a COURTESY FEE. If my decision to charge for the COURTESY of excluding your city from MY list displeases you, then go spend 100s of hrs making your own directory. This registry is the result of VERY hard work intended to benefit many, so if you wanna complain...don't. If you're nice, I'll probably listen. UNLESS YOU TELL ME OTHERWISE, any city with an active resident is clearly not a private/secret city as the information is published on this website.

Last edited by Micali on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:06 am, edited 13 times in total.

Micali
The Mentor

☞ ☞ PK City Directory V.2 (FGHI)

This is a city directory of reformatted public information. It is NOT complete. NO ONE provided information to assist me. If you go yelling at your friend for telling me about your city, stop being a jerk & go apologize to them! If you find it useful, send me a PM in the game to show your love...thanks micali 8-)

If you find a city you would like to register with me as private (or whatever you want to call it), send a pm for information about registering cities. You MUST be a founder to register. While I have worked hard to provide this city directory free of charge, private city registration does carry a COURTESY FEE. If my decision to charge for the COURTESY of excluding your city from MY list displeases you, then go spend 100s of hrs making your own directory. This registry is the result of VERY hard work intended to benefit many, so if you wanna complain...don't. If you're nice, I'll probably listen. UNLESS YOU TELL ME OTHERWISE, any city with an active resident is clearly not a private/secret city as the information is published on this website.

Last edited by Micali on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:08 am, edited 14 times in total.

Micali
The Mentor

☞ ☞ PK City Directory V.2 (JKL)

Last edited by Micali on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:09 am, edited 13 times in total.

Micali
The Mentor

☞ ☞ PK City Directory V.2 (MN)

Post by Micali on Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:32 pm

Last edited by Micali on Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Micali
The Mentor

☞ ☞ PK City Directory V.2 (OPQR)

Last edited by Micali on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:10 am, edited 12 times in total.

Micali
The Mentor

☞ ☞ PK City Directory V.2 (S)

Last edited by Micali on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:11 am, edited 10 times in total.

Micali
The Mentor

☞ ☞ PK City Directory V.2 (TUVWXY)