What's a good new player strategy? Return to General Discussion

Awsum~
The Beta Knight

World: Legends
Gold: 34847
Flags: 148

Re: What's a good new player strategy?

Post by Awsum~ on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:42 pm

LeppRecon wrote:I'm still a noob, only been playing now for a little over a week. This forum is great and I wish I would have saw and read it sooner!

One thing I have done was to not convert all the berries I picked into gold while I was out hunting and fighting things. I stock piled them in my house so I could get at them and convert them when I needed once I figured out what I wanted to spend things on or purchase. This way I didn't lose as much when I died, as that only affected the gold I had.

Losing part of what little gold you have as a noob really sucked. Gotta learn though! So far this has been fun, thanks again for the posts.

A purse protects your gold when you die. At +0, it's 25k, and for each subsequent upgrade (max of +7) it protects 25k more. At +1, 50k protection, a purse should be more than enough to hold your money. I survived on a +1 until I had to upgrade my weapons, but hunted with golems, so even then I rarely died. Each upgrade is 75 food (pretty cheap) and a +0 should sell in a trade hub for 15-20k. It's very worth it to buy one, I'd say.

Addz
The Pack Mule

Gold: 600812
Flags: 13

Post by Addz on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:46 pm

Im new so heres a few of the helpfull things ive learned in my first week.

Firstly, make sure you kill every larva you come across, you will want the stuff they drop to repair your weapons. So keep an eye out for grteat ferns as well. Don't do what I did and put your first 4 points into weapon smithing so you can repair stuff with gold, its silly and a very rookie error .... :(

Kepp the first breatsplate you find and upgrade it like crazy

Use berries early in fights but not too early, if you hit full health the berry will vanish and not get the full heal from it.

Keep every backpack you find, i found that trodonts drop these the most for me.

Jump on trade chat and say you're new and people will happily invite you to happy vally, you will definitely want to go here to sell your stuff.

圖Λ圖⊙δhafτ⊙

World: Horizons

Post by 圖Λ圖⊙δhafτ⊙ on Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:11 pm

Addz wrote:Im new so heres a few of the helpfull things ive learned in my first week.

Firstly, make sure you kill every larva you come across, you will want the stuff they drop to repair your weapons. So keep an eye out for grteat ferns as well. Don't do what I did and put your first 4 points into weapon smithing so you can repair stuff with gold, its silly and a very rookie error .... :(

Kepp the first breatsplate you find and upgrade it like crazy

Use berries early in fights but not too early, if you hit full health the berry will vanish and not get the full heal from it.

Keep every backpack you find, i found that trodonts drop these the most for me.

Jump on trade chat and say you're new and people will happily invite you to happy vally, you will definitely want to go here to sell your stuff.

Pretty much agree with the above. For the very early levels you can get by with replacing weapons and armour with what you find lying around. I upgraded stuff before i really appreciated what i was doing. Even discarded several things i had upgraded. I'm now about 2 weeks in and i have realised that buying upgraded weapons is the way to go. For most level 8 weapons you are looking at not much more than 3000 gold. You wouldn't even upgrade to level 5 for that i don't think. I bought my first poison weapon yesterday, level 16 axe for less than 20k gold. Don't know if it's a bargain compared to what else has been sold but it sure is cheaper than making it myself, even if i had the necessary skills & mats to do so, which i don't.

So yes, get to HV (or similar) and buy weapons being sold by the 'big boys'.

Chop down every tree you can and pick up every bit of leather - looks like these are the prime commodities for noob trading. It sucks to have to spend a few days looking at a timer as you chop the trees when all you want to do is kill something but it will pay off come trading for food time.

No doubt mentioned before, but pick up anything and everything. Backpacks will be a problem initially so attack dragons and troodonts as mentioned. Upgrading backpacks will cost you but may help you carry more. I can usually drop the scrap i pick up for well over 1k gold whenever i have a clear out. It makes a difference.

Another point probably already mentioned. Ask for help. As with any decent online community there are always ppl around willing to offer support, assistance and advice.

[volta6e]*Xer0*

Gold: 96515
Flags: 27

Post by [volta6e]*Xer0* on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:17 pm

Ok I'm going to do this in steps. On for noobs one for high level players.Noobs. First off level yourself to level 4 by hunting gathering and selling stuff you know you don't need (sell using trade chat or one of the major trade posts)B: after level 4 my recomendations are getting combat 3 then warden 3 then anything else that looks cool and interesting, if you get a skill make sure you have all the proper weaponry before you do or it will be useless. C: waterhunt in groups that get epics (2-10k a flag which will help with leveling weps, last but not least get lots of oil wells crystal huts and berry farms, if u get in the thousands of crude oil, berries or crystal you can dump for about 10k per 1000. Also if you have any specific questions look me up through the player search pm me and I'll answerty :)

Awsum~
The Beta Knight

Gold: 34847
Flags: 148

Post by Awsum~ on Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:44 pm

xerobb wrote:Ok I'm going to do this in steps. On for noobs one for high level players.Noobs. First off level yourself to level 4 by hunting gathering and selling stuff you know you don't need (sell using trade chat or one of the major trade posts)B: after level 4 my recomendations are getting combat 3 then warden 3 then anything else that looks cool and interesting, if you get a skill make sure you have all the proper weaponry before you do or it will be useless. C: waterhunt in groups that get epics (2-10k a flag which will help with leveling weps, last but not least get lots of oil wells crystal huts and berry farms, if u get in the thousands of crude oil, berries or crystal you can dump for about 10k per 1000. Also if you have any specific questions look me up through the player search pm me and I'll answerty :)

You cannot get warden 3 at lv8/9. This is impossible. Or are you saying they should save up 11 skill points until level 15?

•DrunkenDick•
The Brick Wall

Gold: 10148
Flags: 5743

Post by •DrunkenDick• on Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:27 am

What I found as a noob that worked well is to chop every tree and kill every stag I saw I loaded up on leather and wood. I went to trade chat and simply asked who could be trusted and while many laughed at me. Rock sent a pm to me saying he could I asked tc they agreed I kind of latched on to him and everytime I thought I found a deal I pmed for pc. I also sold all Wood and leather for cheapest at hv once I got 500 food I bought and sold wood and leather thru tc for below market value. I did this for a while and before I knew it I was 3k food and I started doing small arms. And before I knew that I was on swag. Now I sit happy with items I have. If you are a noob and need advice feel free to send me a pm I will gladly give you advice. I do not however give hand outs. I earned what I have and you can too. Also some older players tend to scare of noobs but if u like the game before u know it you can hang with them and duel and have a chance

Steve888

Gold: 5237

Post by Steve888 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:14 pm

mâdrid wrote:If you want to be top flags , its easy: find a place were almost nobody has access to like middle east, africa, south america, etc... and start building like crazy. ( bulid in line --------- that way if someone want to attack you they would have to waste double the resources you do )

i have a roc shrine in south america, africa and an island were if someone want to get to me they would have to build 1k-3k flags to get there.

sorry for posting a noobish question...how would i get there if i can't get there in the first place?
in the area i stay and frequent, flags and buildings are everywhere... all already taken.
is there other ways for me to plant my own flag?

圖Λ圖⊙δhafτ⊙

World: Horizons

Post by 圖Λ圖⊙δhafτ⊙ on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:41 pm

If i ever want to break free of the flags i take my pet for a walk. Depending on where you are irl you can find some pretty open spaces quite easily.

[Hobos]Kawigi
The Pioneer of the World

Gold: 32530050
Flags: 10268

Post by [Hobos]Kawigi on Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:02 pm

Steve888 wrote:sorry for posting a noobish question...how would i get there if i can't get there in the first place?
in the area i stay and frequent, flags and buildings are everywhere... all already taken.
is there other ways for me to plant my own flag?

You need a place that's not taken. You can walk your dog to such a place usually, or you can ask in one of the many chat channels for space somewhere. Feel free to message me in-game and I can hook you up even. The world is big, and there are barely any flags - once you get away from all the people :-)

EatAtJoes

Gold: 234853
Flags: 218

Post by EatAtJoes on Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:59 am

The following is constructive criticism and is no way meant to be trashing PK but an attempt to improve it by creating more new player retention.

I’ve seen a lot of discussion on what to do as a newbie on the forums, but all these “tips” a new player would not know.

- New players do not visit forums.
- New players may read the guide, but they do not want to.

I’ve played many MMOs (EQ, WoW, GW, etc) and PK has the worst start-up of any of them. We may chat about what new players should do and we may offer useful tips, but the fact is, someone that just downloaded this game wants to be instantly immersed in MMO activities. The best games are intuitive and do not require you to read anything (unless it’s like a quest) until later in the game. The fact that this game needs mentors makes it obvious that there are flaws and a miscommunication between the game’s developers and new players.

Experiences of a new player:
- I’m plopped down where I am located… okay… what do I do now? I don’t have a “quest”.
- My land has 1 tree. I can use it for healing (yay!) but to make a flag I need 3 wood. Okay, I’ll chop down that tree and get some wood. Uh oh, it only yielded 1 wood. What am I to do now? I now have only 1 berry of healing, the tree is gone, and there are a bunch of monsters around me.
- I know, I’ll walk the dog to get more wood! Hmm… where am I now? Sweet! I found more wood and now I have leather to make a flag! [Makes Flag]
- Hmm why can’t I see what’s on this flag land? Why do I need to visit a flag I just built? I am “there” at the flag. If I built it, why do I need to “visit” it? Does this game think I built it with remove control robots?
- Ok, so I’ve built a couple flags and leveled up to 3. I’ve ran out of food. By now I have discovered general chat and they tell me to sell wood and leather for food (but man I noticed people do not talk about the topic of the channel, in WoW if someone talked in regional defense that person is told not to by many people as it is the defense of the area, in PK help chat so many people do not discuss “help”!). I see a trade hub in my estates. I ‘ll collect wood and leather and sell it there!
- By now I can figure out the game is about gathering items, selling them for food, then leveling up.

Suggestions to fix bad new player experience stated above:
Give the player a more clear objective of what his or her first 5 levels will be like. This should include:
- Why and how to make flags
- How to hunt on other people’s land (I had no idea how to do this, I made all my flags on my own and as a result I went ahead and bought food… but perhaps the Devs want it this way)
- Disable feed pet option until level 10
- Disable attack option until level 10 (I think this was done, but I have not been able to test it)
- Give new players 20 wood and leather to make a couple flags with. They can build where they are (which people like) as opposed to making flags wherever the dog takes them. God forbid they hit relocate and can’t figure out how to get back to their flags.

More controversial but more effective suggestion at retaining new players:

Make the game more FUN!!! Here's 1 way how: Make monks more prevalent and make them daily quest givers. Since PK is a rather simple game, make the quest the traditional “kill x of y” or “collect x”, such as “I am making a stag hoof necklace, please give me x stag hooves and I will give you y gold / z items, etc”. These items should be soulbound and they will drop only when the player has the quest and is killing the particular type of mob. A reward of materials would greatly help new players. Most new players do not have city sewers in their city for those valuable early game mats and this would be a fun, interactive, way of doing it.

I hope you Devs figure out a good way to make PK able to retain characters better. These are my suggestions in how to do it. Implement, Critique, or reject them as you see fit.

PreviousNext