What's a good new player strategy? Return to General Discussion

Pîņĕ_åppłē
The Territorial

World: Legends
Gold: 123623
Flags: 230

Re: What's a good new player strategy?

Post by Pîņĕ_åppłē on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:20 am

My technique for parallel kingdom may not be the best but it worked for me to get me started :lol:. The first thing you need to do is have patience. PK is a hard game to get into, and it really helps if you get a good mentor, and I don't mean the mentor you are assigned because in my experience they are not the most helpful... Ask for help on Help Chat, if you find someone who seems helpful ask them if they want to hunt with you? They may give you a bit of starting gold, I never had this and I survived aha but I upgrade all my adopted mentees weps to +10-12 to get them started. Give pk some time!! Chop wood and collect leather, then when you get 100 ask for an invite to New York City Tp and sell it. Check how much it's selling for and undercut it a bit and it'll be sold in no time! Use the gold you get to buy food. I didn't start levelling past level 20 until I was nearly a year old on PK. IMO it's a waste of food, but you need to do it at some time :)

Final advice for all noobs, find a city by the sea where you can hunt and earn lots of gold :lol: make sure it isn't privatised. If any noobs pm me I'l send them an invite to Hastings, an excellent water hunting spot.
Soon you'll rule the world :twisted: muh hahaha!

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Gold: 219327
Flags: 6799

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:25 am

I never appreciated just what a great start I had in pk until I discovered how difficult it was for some.
I was lucky - I was given a great mentor.
I learnt to use Help Chat.
My relocate was inactive flags.
I live near the sea.
My city ticket was to a large, long established, mainly inactive city on the sea.
A new age was on the horizon, my mentor told me to stock up on basic mats as I would "make a killing" after the New Age went live.
I found a couple of reputable buyers, and arranged to post wood for food to level as and when required in one trade post.
I joined a large noob-friendly kingdom, the vets made me welcome and taught me well.
I got scammed early (by a kingdom member, no less).
I was introduced to the forum.
Mates suffered bad glitches - I learnt how to submit a ticket.
By the time I reached level30 (the max back then) I was a seasoned war fighter, had suffered harassment by vets (and learnt how to cope), and had developed a well rounded persona that I have kept to this day.
I don't want to rule the world, but I do want to be able to be an active part of our parallel world.

»δ•η»нεαδιεss»нояsмεεsε™
The Liberator

Gold: 622214
Flags: 240

Post by »δ•η»нεαδιεss»нояsмεεsε™ on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:43 pm

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) wrote:I never appreciated just what a great start I had in pk until I discovered how difficult it was for some.
I was lucky - I was given a great mentor.
I learnt to use Help Chat.
My relocate was inactive flags.
I live near the sea.
My city ticket was to a large, long established, mainly inactive city on the sea.
A new age was on the horizon, my mentor told me to stock up on basic mats as I would "make a killing" after the New Age went live.
I found a couple of reputable buyers, and arranged to post wood for food to level as and when required in one trade post.
I joined a large noob-friendly kingdom, the vets made me welcome and taught me well.
I got scammed early (by a kingdom member, no less).
I was introduced to the forum.
Mates suffered bad glitches - I learnt how to submit a ticket.
By the time I reached level30 (the max back then) I was a seasoned war fighter, had suffered harassment by vets (and learnt how to cope), and had developed a well rounded persona that I have kept to this day.
I don't want to rule the world, but I do want to be able to be an active part of our parallel world.

This is an awesome way to start parallel kingdom. Especially to wood for food part. Getting food was a challenge for me.

Bacon_Lettuce_Tomato
The Skilled Ninja

Gold: 2758783
Flags: 7771

Post by Bacon_Lettuce_Tomato on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:47 am

Plan to become a ninja. This is the fastest, cheapest way to become a powerful hunter, and it's fun. Basically, you only have to upgrade a shirikan, nothing else. That's cheap compared to a militia or knight. Of course, you need a tunic and lots of other stuff if you are going to max-out your character, but you are NOT trying to max-out your character if you are a newbie. Noobs are are just trying to get a foothold. Once you reach level 25 and have a plus19 shirikan, then you can start upgrading the weapons you really want. When they are upgraded to plus25 then you can use a skill reset scroll.

Nothing else is quite as good for a new player as ninja. Assassin and theif are designed for someone who doesn't mind making enemies. That's a poor choice for a noob. Ninja is made to do well with a shirikan and nothing else. Any other career requires upgrading several different pieces of equipment at once.

[Hobos]Kawigi
The Pioneer of the World

Gold: 32530050
Flags: 10268

Post by [Hobos]Kawigi on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:42 am

Bacon_Lettuce_Tomato wrote:Assassin and theif are designed for someone who doesn't mind making enemies.

Not really true for Assassin anymore.

Bacon_Lettuce_Tomato
The Skilled Ninja

Gold: 2758783
Flags: 7771

Post by Bacon_Lettuce_Tomato on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:20 am

[Hobos]Kawigi wrote:Not really true for Assassin anymore.

GOOD POINT! the Assassin DOES NOT have to make enemies in order to use all his advantages in the 5th age.
However, he does have to upgrade 3 pieces of equipment in order to use all of his advantages.

That's expensive compared to a ninja, which relies on distance and dodge for defense. Equipment is optional.

{~J¿E~}••Jason™••
The Pupil

Gold: 5757
Flags: 113

Post by {~J¿E~}••Jason™•• on Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:25 pm

The sky is the way. Get a dragon (or roc) pet when possible, the go cruising in the sky and make an easy 50k or more an hour with a pet. Kill cruisers and get their construct essence to build a ship. Then get elements and refine them which is like 18k for 10 of any rods in NYC. You can easily sell 100 for 150k atm. And most importantly, be nice. Having friends introduce you to rich friends is a good way to make gold. They might gift you their useless +24 weapons (a joy to you) and that will help you fight some and actually stand a chance to epics. Good luck.
Or get a Phoenix.

Nssheepster

Gold: 544806
Flags: 83

Post by Nssheepster on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:52 am

On the whole, don't listen to Jason. This is his 4th attempt to have a successful account. That's only the ones I know of, and it doesn't seem like he's succeeding this time either, IMO. That said, he's got a piece right. Talk. A lot. Begging won't get you a thing. Getting an established kingdom, with some veteran players is your best bet. If they don't gift you stuff most will sell good stuff at a discount. But even more importantly, be patient. Clear every circle you visit. Every one. If there is a standing tree, living creature, or unharvested plant, you need to finish. If you have the patience to keep the supplies, you'll be material rich and gold poor, but better off in the long run. If you don't, like me, sell it, all of it, and use gold to compensate for any lacks. See my mother's account, Lssheepster.... She holds all our money, she's better at saving than me. :-) I enjoy the game, I don't want for much, really, so... I'd say it worked out well for me.

azulthebrave
The Stonecore Titan

Gold: 25373
Flags: 14

Post by azulthebrave on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:52 am

As for me, I am actually a restart. I had messed up my character quite bad, and it was cheaper (including time) to just start over. When I did start over:

I had a fairly crappy mentor
I had a basic understanding of the chats and their uses
My relocate was empty
I had a city all to myself
I was just after the new age KT started (I restarted a few days post-age)
I also had the wood-for-food that KT had. I knew I was being ripped off slightly, but I wasn't in a position to complain
I have yet to be scammed where I have not been repayed (by the king of the scammer, in one case)
I earned everything that I currently have (temptress, if you read this, shoot me a PM)

TijkoS
The Grand Master Explorer

Gold: 2126149
Flags: 6131

Post by TijkoS on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:55 am

As far as I have played i've no troubles and can say im 'pretty' succesful. How i did:

First join a city without many hostile players. build a oilwell and crystal hut there, nothing more as you wont need the other buildings at first. (and waste mats then).
secondly walk your dog. he takes you to undiscovered land. place flags there; 10-50.
now start to hunt all monsters on the flags, chop the wood (first harvest the trees ;).
This will generate recourses you can either use to sell or use to build a bigger hunting area. I suggest selling the stuff.
Next thing to do: Make contact with other players. Join Helpchat, Social Chat, Hunting Chat (preferably). people here can help you, nice to chat to and may become friends/allies who come in handy later. DO NOT BEG, this provokes people.

When you have a few materials (wood, leather, stone, iron) sell those at the biggest tradingpost available.
Now you have some gold.
Time to buy gear, wich are more important than leveling in my opinion. Don't buy swag, but regular upgraded armor and a weapon. I suggest aiming on a death melee weapon (axe, sword, staff), a poison ranged weapon (longbow, crossbow, sling, shuriken, blowdart) and a honed armor. A shield is also optional, try honed on this one too. these can come fairly cheap. (something between +15/+20 would be easy to get, if you don't have enough gold to buy all stuff at once, repeat the hunting stuff.)
Now you have gear, and a small and probably depleted hunting area (refreshes in 6 hours). Now comes the chatting in handy. Ask for invites to 'new' hunting area's. Good places: Namche Bazar, Antartica, 'South of hongkong'. There are many area's with public hunting area's so ask away! If you have an invite: go hunting, chopping and mining. Gold will come.
Now you have hunting area's, gear, but you're still noob. You need food. Lucky for you you might already found a few foods in your inventory. starting food, up to 300 food comes from hunting (after 300 it stops), 100 from the facebook thing. and you have probably done some free offers on the menu-food-earn food thing. Now... LEVEL UP!
every time your pages bar is full, 80 food can be used to lvl up. don't stop till you're lvl 40. In meantime choose skills. Handy skills for newcomers are: Scavenger lvl 3 and Leatherworking lvl 3 for more loot.
well... if you're close to lv 40, you're no longer newling. but you can use some tips probly:

1. Check chats for 'Hat runners'. they often give some gold to die for them, study, or provide free entrance for their sewer/dungeons -> good for gold and hunting :)
2. try to get your hands on a chopping ring, it'll make hard work a bit easier
3. don't invest food on pets until you have a stable goldflow and aim for pvp. (only track leather skill for dogs can be a good option for poor people tough)
4. Hunt on water. There are many monsters and they give good gold. Especially Yang Longs.
5. Join a kingdom. More hunting places, fun with other kingdom members and probly some more... ;)
6. Remember: PK is cool.

PreviousNext