forum logo

PK Damage Matrix Demystified Return to General Discussion

[CaL]-ყɳคг∂ τђε βลℜð

World: Legends
Gold: 12629958
Flags: 2285

Re: PK Damage Matrix Demystified

Post by [CaL]-ყɳคг∂ τђε βลℜð on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:20 am

♜O↭M♜✵KαfGяυик✵ wrote:You have to click the 2nd link, not the 1st.

Good call. I moved the link to the original matrix to the bottom of the original post and emphasized the link to the Enhanced Matrix 8-)

『♚ηøร♔』♜✵KαfGяυик✵♜
The Grove Guardian

Gold: 2353080
Flags: 604

Post by 『♚ηøร♔』♜✵KαfGяυик✵♜ on Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:41 am

[CaL]-Ynard~the~Bard wrote:
♜O↭M♜✵KαfGяυик✵ wrote:You have to click the 2nd link, not the 1st.

Good call. I moved the link to the original matrix to the bottom of the original post and emphasized the link to the Enhanced Matrix 8-)

Nice, much better!

{LoT}Vlad
The Death Knight

Gold: 8865713
Flags: 4312

Post by {LoT}Vlad on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:11 pm

♜O↭M♜✵KαfGяυик✵ wrote:
{LoT}Vlad wrote:I never looked at the matrix as a new player. I was an explorer at first, back when there was no armor or weapon bonus, so I naturally looked at what I hunted the most and what weapon they were weakest against. I found, via monster info, that the hardest and best paying monsters to kill on land, mags and dragons, took the most damage from spears. I then found out that most other land creatures were so easy to kill with a spear that spears became my primary weapons. I then had a shade dagger for sprites. That was about it for a very long time.

I would really like to understand this matrix, but I see no text at the bottom of the matirx with your explanations on how to use it, when I open your link. I see no boxes to check or uncheck stuff nor do I see any color other than the PK yellow for the linked names. All I see is a list, horizontal and vertical, listing creatures/weapons/armor and then a bunch of numbers in the grid.

What am I doing wrong :D :?:

You have to click the 2nd link, not the 1st.

(/.*)

Thank you sir!

∆Hero∆~Thadius~ wrote:I personally use the Damage Matrix. I carry a Sword, Spear, Axe, Dagger, Staff, Brass Knuckles, Longbow, Crossbow, Sling, Blowdart, Shuriken, Breastplate, Shield, Dragon Scalemail, Dragon Shield, Leather Armor, and Tunic. As an Explorer I do not receive any Specialization bonus, so using the Damage Matrix is beneficial to me. I humbly appreciate this spruced up Damage Matrix as it is easier for.me to read, especially on my phone. I am a firm.believer in the Damage Matrix and have for a very long time wrote down/ memorized certain equipment combinations for certain scenerios. I have even collected almost 20 Gear Memory Scrolls! Those were a dream cpme true!

You do get the tactics attack bonus which is a awesome boost to Explorers if you utilize the most effective gear for your primary targets. As a matter of fact, in my earliest days in PK, the Most Effective Gear list is what I used instead of the matrix. It took this post for me to remember the name of the linked page.

I will be ready when I return to explorer after I get all my class hats, as I do not sell gear. I usually buy +24 gear for the next class I plan on switching to before I switch and then save up for higher leveled gear as I earn my tokens.

∆Hero∆~Thadius~

Gold: 89745
Flags: 2002

Post by ∆Hero∆~Thadius~ on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:53 pm

I do love my Tactics bonus. Slap on a fancy Explorer Potion and start whoopin up on monsters. The Matrix especially helps with Dungeons in my opinion. A Gear Memory Scroll for an overall setup followed by a few Quickslot changes and you are golden!

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Gold: 219327
Flags: 6799

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:31 am

I agree - it is dungeons where the matrix really holds it's own, due to the presence of mainly one class of monster.

Stone/metal/gem golems, dragons, Aquarians/corrupteds, even sewers with spiders/turtles - these make it often better to equip for the monsters & not your class.

Oh and congratulations Ynard for getting a sticky. You deserve it for this thread

[CaL]-ყɳคг∂ τђε βลℜð

Gold: 12629958
Flags: 2285

Post by [CaL]-ყɳคг∂ τђε βลℜð on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:46 am

Thank you. I didn't even know that there are Forum Admins / PK personnel present here anymore :P

I recently tried to figure out what weapon would be best to run a ToG. Apparently it is Sword (9) closely followed by Staff (8) and Knuckles (8) etc.. No clear winners there. But what the Matrix could really use would be a way to highlight a Column or even focus on Colums (ie to make other columns disappear). That would make the job of looking for most effective weapon per monster type an easier task.

And maybe a "Show only player wieldable weapons" checkbox.. I'll see if I can find time to implement those some day, some way...

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Gold: 219327
Flags: 6799

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:21 am

I personally am more concerned with player defence rather than attack. That is wherei use the matrix.

As this is ATTACK based, reading it for best defence is "look for the red/yellow" as this shows the lowest attack.
Against Dragons attack for instance a tunic shows 10, leather 7. Even accounting for the dodge - this equates to 7 & 5.5 - I always said dragons love leather (tunics are made from leather as well) cos they bite right through it.

『♚ηøร♔』♜✵KαfGяυик✵♜
The Grove Guardian

Gold: 2353080
Flags: 604

Post by 『♚ηøร♔』♜✵KαfGяυик✵♜ on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:45 am

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) wrote:I personally am more concerned with player defence rather than attack. That is wherei use the matrix.

As this is ATTACK based, reading it for best defence is "look for the red/yellow" as this shows the lowest attack.
Against Dragons attack for instance a tunic shows 10, leather 7. Even accounting for the dodge - this equates to 7 & 5.5 - I always said dragons love leather (tunics are made from leather as well) cos they bite right through it.

I am interested by the weapons still, like Ynard said he might try to do, because I want to know WHEN my staff is useless, and seeing the damage from all the monsters is non-important in those moments and browsing throught all that data with my Tablet/Phone is very annoying.

Good Job Ynard! and I can't wait till the next filter is done!

Lilbyrdie
The Mentor

Gold: 26983138
Flags: 11448

Post by Lilbyrdie on Fri May 30, 2014 5:15 am

Ynard: Great matrix improvement. Almost beats my custom spreadsheet mods -- where I break out ranged vs melee (it matters for comparisons) and hunting vs pvp. :mrgreen: Why I didn't know about this sooner... eh, been busy, oh well.

One area where people always seem to misunderstand things is the role of tactics in hunting. Tactics, at +6, isn't like the class weapon bonuses most other classes get. It's far, far better -- for hunting. Because, it adds +6 to absolutely all weapons. That means a tactics class has perfectly free reign to pick any weapon they want for the situation. Used with a good sized pile of memory scrolls and a tactics class can be the ultimate hunter.

But... that's not the end of the story. All tactics classes can dodge if they want (just get martial arts) and they can get ranged bonuses (martial arts and/or archery). This means a tactics class can have -- at base -- +9 to all ranged except sling (which still gets the +6 tactics bonus).

In addition, surprisingly few people ever seem to get tactics when not playing a tactics class. I always do. Why not? It's +3 on all weapons. That's particularly useful with the classic example of ranged vs magnatheres. Another 3 on top of ~10 is a 30% improvement, on average. Hard to argue with that...

The matrix doesn't tell all, though, otherwise we'd all be tactics class. For one, tactics does drain. For two, some people still PvP. For three, ninja and militia have a bonus that's worth a lot in many situations -- the lack of losing a turn when switching from melee to ranged and back. In the worst case situation for a regular class, this can more than double the damage ninja or militia do, more than making up for a "weak" shuri/xbow. For four, there's a strange thing that happens with ranged weapons -- they'll often double shot. I see it frequently with my trolls and occasionally for me. It's like a ranged weapon allows you to enter two battle queues at once if they're far enough apart, but both in range of your weapon.

What I always end up with, in conclusion on such discussions, though, is that PK is surprisingly well balanced. There's no one perfect gear set and skill set that is best in all situations. So many other MMO RPGs have such a set that everyone ultimately goes after.

At the same time, I love that mid-battle I can switch from a dodging, sling wielding, super-fast ranged setup into a shield-charging, tanking, melee brawler with just a tap of a quick-slotted memory scroll. Without that, many of these choices would be frustrating. :)

ynard
The Artisan

World: Horizons
Gold: 179167
Flags: 52

Post by ynard on Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:42 pm

Dunno if anyone teams these forums nowadays... But if someone wants to adopt my Enhanced Damage Matrix php code and put it somewhere for ppl to use, pls send me an ingame msg or reply in this thread.

I Switched jobs and no longer have an access to free, carefree and reliable php website so cannot host the Matrix.

Edit: lol, just noticed that I logged on my "Web PK" account XD is that thing still on btw??!?

PreviousNext