Ranger Armor Bonus Unclear Return to Guide Discussion

[wσw]◇ѕєνєη◇[Hobos]
The Master of Oiyoi

World: Legends
Gold: 16242
Flags: 4581

Ranger Armor Bonus Unclear

Post by [wσw]◇ѕєνєη◇[Hobos] on Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:14 pm

I was hoping a dev could clear this up. At one point in time the guide read that the ranger's leather armor bonus shall only be effective without a shield equipped. The skill tree at the moment reads that a Ranger receives +2 with leather armor against melee attacks. The guide says the bonus is with light armors, not specifically leather. Neither one state anything about this bonus only being applicable if a shield is not equipped.

Could I please get a clear description and possibly have the guide reflect this as well?

Thank you kindly in advance.
Seven

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Gold: 219327
Flags: 6799

Re: Ranger Armor Bonus Unclear

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:34 am

A shield counts as heavy armour - a ranger with a shield is therefor not using light armour.
Heavy armour - breastplate, scalemail, shield, dragon shield
Light armour - leather, tunic.

Perhaps the guide needs to be worded better, but I personally can not see any reason to say it is wrong.

[wσw]◇ѕєνєη◇[Hobos]
The Master of Oiyoi

Gold: 16242
Flags: 4581

Post by [wσw]◇ѕєνєη◇[Hobos] on Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:17 am

One pmed answer I received,

"As for your second question Shields have no impact on your skill as no additional buffs are given or taken away. Entirely optional if you use one or not however be aware of encumbrance affecting your move speed. In other words no point having a shield anyway."

The guide has also been edited to state that the defense bonus applies to leather armor, not also tunics.

I personally only use a shield to shield charge, but the reason I asked this is because I see a lot of rangers using shields and I thought the use of a shield cancelled out the bonus. I surely didn't say the guide was wrong, as I am obviously no authority, I simply said it is unclear. Without it saying definitively that a shield cannot be equipped, like it says under the mercenary guide entry, people will tend to believe a shield is allowed optionally with no defense nerf.

K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB)
The Leprechaun

Gold: 219327
Flags: 6799

Post by K'tilqr(Mrs.MarkB) on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:00 am

I'm a Druid, but I do have a shield. There are odd occassions when equipping a shield is better, even tho I lose dodge. There is also a way to shield charge and unequip the shield before you arrive. This means you get the benefit of having no shield when you actually engage the opponent. I haven't tried it, but I am told that qui lot the shield, tap charge, tap shield (to unequip) works if you tap fast enough.

belivingtheword
The Fury

Gold: 8617479
Flags: 399

Post by belivingtheword on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:49 am

Would a ranger be available to post troll dummy results from proving grounds, with and without shield?

[Hobos]Kezzz
The Aetherwalker

Gold: 7484728
Flags: 23841

Post by [Hobos]Kezzz on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:53 am

There isn't really any way to test this in a Proving Ground.

The Ranger Skill used to say: "+2 Defense with Light Armors versus melee attacks (Does not apply while wearing a shield) ".

The key point here is that the defense bonus is only against melee attacks. It's not a constant bonus active at all times, as in it wouldn't be in effect vs ranged attacks. Unfortunately that means that it doesn't constantly affect the Armour Level which is displayed in a Proving Ground.

I checked this myself just now, with and without shield my Armour level stays at a constant 27 (28 with ring equipped).
Maybe the Dev team could confirm/deny if the penalty of wearing a shield is still in place or not.

TheIronTyler
The PerBlue Producer

Gold: 868248
Flags: 30

Post by TheIronTyler on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:15 am

A Shield will cancel your Armor bonuses. Shields don't work with any Leather Armor/Tunic bonuses.

[Hobos]Kezzz
The Aetherwalker

Gold: 7484728
Flags: 23841

Post by [Hobos]Kezzz on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:07 am

Thank you Tyler :)